Performance anxiety

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hornlife98, Dec 3, 2014.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I think things can go better when you think of your playing as a presentation to them, a gift, in a sense; here, I want you to hear this, I hope you are pleased with this and it makes you feel good, you say to yourself. Not, oh, no,these people are going to string me up if I slip up......I can't play well when fear of failure is in the forefront. Just let it go, and have fun.
    That's what has helped me tremendously.

2. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    My horn was furiously shaking during the most important part of the performance, but I did my best to exude musicality even though my tone was a terrible, nervous unintended anxiety vibrato. I nailed my scales and sightreading. I am pleased to announce I made the highest band, and I got the twelfth best score. My name is Evan Nunez.

9th And 10th Grade Band Trumpet

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Great job, Evan ! It will get easier for you each and every time, but that is what it takes- experience! You can't skip that part. You have to forge through it. :thumbsup:

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Good job! The most important part of this, IMO, is that you put yourself out there. As cliché as this is becoming, I love Wayne Gretzky's quote - "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Post back and tell us about the honor band experience. In my own experience they were always a great time, I learned a ton every time, and they served to further inspire me as a player and musician. At the end of the day, that's really what it's all about - making music! :-)

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Now there's your reason for performance anxiety.

Hire a hit man?:dontknow:

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'd still hire the hit man. My name is Jerry Ringo.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    congratulations -- my experience is that the more confidence you build -- the less anxiety that you will have. I've had similar problems with anxiety, even after a comeback to the trumpet, especially after a 10 year layoff ------- it does get better ----- with time

8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    PERFORMANCE ANXIETY?

Are we still talking about trumpets?

9. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    Now that I completed my goal...I can follow my lifelong dream....become proficient at trumpet poly phonics.

Just kidding.

10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Performance Anxiety?

It has been suggested to visualize the audience in their underwear.

I found that too distracting.