Performance anxiety

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hornlife98, Dec 3, 2014.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It depends on who is in the audience. It could go from anywhere between flat out revolting to VA-VA-VOOOOOOM!!!!!!!! :D

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not sure how this reference would apply to a young lady trying out for a stripper position?

3. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    #3 was never a help to me , I'm just so focused on playing I couldn't be bothered to look around at anyone in the audience ;-)

My problem begins if I make even a small mistake,drop an entry? muff a note etc. from there It's always a slow burn to the crash or the end of the song ,hopefully the song ends first ? then maybe 2-3 songs later the shakes start ,light to heavy ,depends on how much I let my mind beat me up ,Iv'e talked to the others in the group about it ,and have seen my playing on video ,and on recordings and one time one of the guys said,did you notice anyone gasp when you knew you had really goofed ? :-( I sorta laughed at myself ,and said no? After I thought about this for a few days I decided to watch more closely at the audience when I messed up.........:shock:..no reaction ?:-? , After we were done i had several people come up to me and say thank you for playing ,one was a close friend who i mentioned to that i really goofed it up at one point ,he leaned close in and said ,sounded great to me ?

All that to say,,, most people don't know if we did it perfect ,maybe a judged performance would be that way but in the end everyone listens differently and I should just do the best I can ,and forget about getting nervous .

BTW prep is important ,if I'm looking for a note or some thing it's a full on wreck.:bash:

Anyway Huge grats Hornlife :play:

Dean_0

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I just realize I'm the best trumpet player in the whole place --- no anxiety that way -- so, practice and play and be happy

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    KT... A legend in his own mind.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Anybody here ever stand next to a trumpet player who is constantly playing sharp and is clueless to the fact?

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    (It has been suggested to visualize the audience in their underwear.

I think I can answer: this time the audience does the imagining, for a while, at least. Then there is no room for any more imagining..........

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    No, but I've had a different problem: EVERYBODY else in the rest of the band is flat! :whistle:

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And there you have it folks, the definition of clueless.

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    And why do they keep glaring at me and mouthing something, like: "PULL IT OUT, PULL IT OUT!!!"
    These are obviously sick, mean people who can't mind their own business.