Performance Nerves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Mar 23, 2013.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I can play the National Anthem solo in front of thousands and not break a sweat. The larger the crowd the better I feel. Put me in a more intimate setting or with an ensemble and I go crazy with anxiety. It really hurts my playing. I am not nearly as good at playing once the nerves kick in. It is very frustrating to work at improving as much as I do just to have it undone by anxiety at performance time. I practice to improve technique as well as to work on material for the different ensembles that I play in. I have got to figure this out. Not sure how. One would think that it would go away with more exposure to performing with groups. That has not been the case. Being around certain people or places makes it worse. I even stopped studying with one teacher due the anxiety felt when it came time to play for him. I just want to have fun at performance time.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  2. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    I've heard good things about propolanol. Apparently It's a prescribed drug that helps with the nerves. I've thought about getting some myself. I know we're all different but I do fine with a group. Once my solo comes up though, I get MAJOR unwanted vibrato and my breath control goes to Hell. I get so mad at myself. I will probably get criticism for this but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

3. CornetBoy

CornetBoy Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2012
    I can safely say every time i play in front of people i get the nerves!

4. CornetBoy

CornetBoy Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2012
    It sounds good to me!