Performance this Thursday...need some advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, May 22, 2013.

1. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    I have a concert this Thursday, and I have all the music ready and practiced thoroughly. However, I have one slight problem.
    Sometimes, when I play for a while, my embouchure gets tired, and I can't quite get a good tone like I usually play with. I also sometimes get an airy sound. How should I fix this?

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Big horse lips buzz to get the blood back - take a moment to tense the corners of the mouth just to reset the embouchure - then away you go - reboot completed.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Take Wednesday off, and in the future get into shape about a month before the performance.

keigoh likes this.
  4. drmctchr

drmctchr Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2012
    VG ... You're terrific !!!!

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hmmm - up till now he's answered to VB - I wonder if I've had it wrong all this time - nah, I would been the recipient of a Vulgani Curse, surely?

Oops - sorry, slipped off the topic.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    At this stage there is nothing you can do except drink plenty of water before and during the concert and get the horn off your face at every opportunity.

Regards, Stuart.

7. drmctchr

drmctchr Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2012
    tedg1951 ...

I am simply following time-honored traditions such as demonstrated in translations of the Bible. The literary use of VG (Vul - Gano) is merely a creative mechanism as I understand is often a practice in jazz improvisation ... you know, hit a wrong note and call it close enough.

In fact, I have just realized that I have been an improvisationist for years ... since I never play anything the same way twice.

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Bavaria has developed the right drink for this kind of tiredness. I've extolled it before - one part orange juice to three parts Cola, chilled. Works for me, every time!