Performing on Stage

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LH123, May 23, 2011.

1. LH123

LH123 Piano User

May 14, 2010
    Hello everyone! I have a performance of "A Trumpeter's Lullaby" coming up, and I have a question about performing. Is it OK to walk around on the stage while performing? I don't mean across the stage or anything, but moving around a little as a part of musical expression / audience communication. Thanks! :play:

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Absolutely!

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Whatever moves you!

When looking at rock guitar soloists, some players put on a show with exaggerated movements during their solos, while others, like Jerry Garcia, would stand pretty still, close their eyes and and occasionally smile.

Don't show off; let the music move you--then you'll be fine.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    NO! YOU MUST STAND STOCK STILL FOR THE WHOLE PERFORMANCE!!!!

Kidding - I think that too many people think way too hard about that kind of thing, and IMO the person who moves around a bit actually looks more natural and therefore the presentation comes across better. That's my 2 cents.

5. LH123

LH123 Piano User

May 14, 2010
    Great! Thanks everyone!

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    If you have the piece down then the moving around thing is alwaysa nice touch. If I could make a recomendation... practice doing it ..have an objective person listen to what happens to the music while you are moving around. You might be doing something to the sound that you have no idea is occurring.
    The piece you are playing is my Dad's all time fav... hope it goes well!!

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Shake your groove thang!!:lol::lol:

8. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Do what is comfortable (unless your girlfriend says you look like a dork), make sure the music is where your focus is.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yeah, I watch my wife. If her head is shaking "NO", I slow down whatever I'm doing.ROFL

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    If you need to play into a microphone you may find moving about tricky unless you have a clip-on mic or similar. Some stage microphone arrangements pick up everything so it wouldn't matter where you are.

--bumblebee