Performing on Stage

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LH123, May 23, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Standing rigid like a toy soldier is not really useful, but calling moving "musical expression/audience communication"? I am not sure. I normally "play to the audience" too and may point my bell a little to the left and right, but wandering around - my vote is do what you think is right, but don't make stories up about why.

A lullaby is a pretty intimate thing. I personally would underscore that aspect instead of "spreading it around". There are other tunes that lend themselves better to mass communication.

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    It's OK to turn your back to the audience and play pointing at the ground too.... worked for Miles!

3. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    haha... funny...

I recently performed the Lullaby by Anderson... what a fun piece... I absolutely sucked on the delayed scale runs when the 2nd trumpet comes in...

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Some players manage to communicate with the audience whether they move or not... compare how Nakariakov and Shilkloper move around in this video:

YouTube - ‪Sergei Nakariakov and Arkady Shilkloper plays "Figga" by A.Shilkloper.‬‏

Allen Vizzutti was also one not to dance around much...

However, Rowuk, when you say
    I think the Mnozils might have a strong opinion.

--bumblebee

5. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
  6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Nice duet. But it looks a little funny with only one of the two guys moving. The guy on the left is pretty stiff with his eyes burried in his stand. It makes him look disinterested.

7. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Go to YouTube and check out some of the greatest of the greats. James, Mendez, Vizzutti,
    Andre', Severinsen, etc. Not a lot of movement, is there?
    Too much movement distracts from the music itself. I've been quite fortunate to back up some world class musicians and none of them moved much when they played.
    Trumpeter's Lullaby is a lullaby. Think of gently rocking a baby in your arms and your movement should be fine.
    Rich T.

8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Nakariakov suffered a severe back injury as a youth and simply cannot move much.
    The Canadian Brass and Mnozil do move quite a bit for entertainment purposes, yet when it calls for virtuoso playing, they pretty much stop excessive movement.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have no problem with a dance number or multimedia/multitasking.

The Trumpeters Lullaby is a very intimate piece. I am sure that Mnozil would not turn it into a comedy act. As a matter of fact, they deal with music in an incredibly respectful way. That is what makes them such a class act!

10. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK