Performing with Orleans!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bwanabass, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Well, I wasn't talking about me! (Unfortunately.) Sorry! Anyway...

Orleans is performing at Munson Williams Proctor Art Institute in Utica, NY, and I guess they travel to shows with absolutely NO equipment. In other words, everything from guitars to cowbells are provided for them by the local sound production company at each of their tour stops.

It so happens that my friend and bandmate owns the sound and lighting company that is producing the show. He is also a trumpet player (on hiatus). Well, on the equipment rider, Orleans requested a trumpet. Being a horn player himself, my friend figured he could just grab one of his vintage horns and oil it up for the gig (he has a bunch of closet dwellers that I have been desperately trying to get him to part with), but all he came up with was stuck valves and slides. Tsk tsk. By the way, we are talking vintage Bach Strads, Silver Flairs, and a Claude Gordon Benge.

That's where I come in. He got a hold of me this morning and told me about the situation. I made a few calls around town trying to locate a horn for him, but in the end, I ended up letting him borrow my Cannonball for the gig. SO, while I am nervous about letting one of my babies out of my sight for the weekend, it IS pretty cool that Orleans will be using my trumpet to add some brassiness to their performance tomorrow night!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Dont know if I could have done that. Best wishes.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Last time I lent a horn to a fellow player, it came back stolen... but he was well insured, and I got an upgrade.

4. Bwanabass

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    This is the case here. I should be getting the horn back today, an I am hoping that it's the same condition in which it was loaned out.

5. Bwanabass

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Got the Cannonball back today, unscathed! /sigh of relief.