Perfromance tips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jonny89, Apr 17, 2007.

1. jonny89

jonny89 New Friend

Feb 22, 2005
    Redhill - England
    I have a 20 minute recital tommorow for my A2 level musi course and i was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to prepare for it during the day and how to beat the nerves

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Beat the nerves? breathing, breathing, breathing
    Don't forget drinking water before and after the performance. However, you should be able to get through the performance without drinking
    Don't play too much before: You won't learn anything in the last day, that you did not manage till now and it is better to have fresh chops for your performance. 10-15 min warm up should be enough for you.

3. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    I'm with Nick... 10-15 mins, but slow, easy stuff. Exception being perhaps a couple of chromatic runs, in a solid tempo, banging the valves down. Breathing in fully...out smoothly. .. almost yawn like. This will help calm you down.

Then? Think of the piece(s) and how beautiful you can make them. What do they mean to you? Convey that beauty to the audience. Be sure to stay in the moment... good or bad notes are gone once out of the horn. Keep the concept of emoting the beauty of the piece.

My mom always used to say...."play pretty now".... that's a good motto...

enjoy...

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Our bodies can't tell the difference between excitement and nervousness, so, if you've prepared the piece, there is no place for rational fear. If your fears are irrational, like having a light come crashing down or your pants falling down or playing badly: laugh at them! What you will experience is excitement, which can add, well, excitement to the performance!

Have fun and excitement!

5. Daniel Nole

Daniel Nole New Friend

Mar 29, 2007
    Switzerland
    A reasonable not too long warm-up, repeat short phrases of the programme no the whole piece, and think you are alone in the scene , or alternatively concentrate in only one person, and best, a friend of the public. You play for this person, nobody other.Think musically and technical only for breathing.

If you are in the middle of the piece and instrument need of be emptied of water but no time is available , you can take the horn position slighly a few degres up; the accumulation of water clear the vulnerable spots and the sound is recovered.That can help in this extremes situations for a short limited time.Of course,then with a couple of seconds available ,emptied the instrument as normal.

Daniel

:play:

Olds L-12 Flugelhorn

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  6. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    All of the above and THEN:

Make the first note BEE-YOU-TEE-FULL!!!:D When you hear that first note all your fears will vanish and you can play with your Heart.;-)