Personal experiences

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nordlandstrompet, Aug 22, 2009.

1. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Can't play 'heavy' horns at all....they just don't 'speak' for me....

I have a Bach heavy whatsever mouthpiece for my cornet. I didn't really notice any difference between using this and my regular 3C

bigtiny

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maybe a small addition. I realize that I have made a serious mistake. Mass is critical to world class playing.

Look at Bobby Shew, Maynard Ferguson, David Hickman, Maurice André, and many other world class trumpeters. Their playing improved DRAMATICALLY with the addition of carefully placed mass. Heck, they didn't even need to pimp their horns. They put the mass where it was most enjoyable!

3. Liblip

Liblip New Friend

Mar 29, 2008
    My Conn came with extras like heavy keys and valve weights, as well as 2 tuning slides. Some have called this package "gimmicky," but I really enjoyed experimenting. The short-throw action of unweighted keys and valves felt best to me- but I really came to prefer the rounded tuning slide with Amado over the "D-shaped" slide with traditional cork water key. (My teacher is the other way around.)

I'm guilty of pimping my horn. (I'm awaiting delivery of the bengal tiger striped key buttons that Mouthpiece Express sells.) I thought it'd look cool with the rose and yellow brass, and it's a cheap source of fun. -Ed

4. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I stuck some dimes in my valves caps (just now for kicks) and it definitely gives you a darker sound, and takes the edge off.