Personal Heros

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by trumpet blower88, Jul 13, 2005.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Not just your trumpet heros, but in general. Who are some people you look up too?

Here's mine:

Lance Armstrong: No one, and I mean NO ONE, not even Michel Jordan has dominated their sport for the last seven years, and now he's going for number eight? Oh, and remember, he's doing this while recovering from a hard fight with testicular cancer that infected his lungs and brain as well. This guy in my opinion is the greatest athleate in the world, and his determanation and will to survive is just astonishing.

Franklin D. Roosevelt: In my opinion, the best presidant this great nation has ever had. He turned the country around after the great depression and whent on to help defeat Nazi Germany as well as the power hungry Japan in WWII. I do give a lot of credit to Harry Truman for actualy ending the war in the Pacific, but we never would have got to that point if it were not for FDR.

Vince Lombardi: I do not really care for the game of football, but I give my total respect to Mr. Lombardi as a team leader. I have yet to see any leader match the leadership skill that he had. He started the whole thing about how it takes everybodys effort to make a group work: "Individual Commitment to a group effort; that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work." - Vince Lombardi

Henery Ford: Not for what he did by makeing the first affordable automobile, but what he did to change the nations economy with his new idea of "credit". In the last few decades new companies such as Visa and American Express have come along with this same idea and have screwed up alot of peoples lives, however for some of us credit is the only way we can continue liveing. As bad as it is for people who can't controll credit, it has changed our economy for the better and helped many people get though hard finacial times such as paying college tuition.

2. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Good topic TB88,

As a cyclist myself, Lance is right up there with my heroes. He is well on his way to his 7th tour win. A very big deal as it relates to Tour history.

I would add (to only name a few)... LINCOLN and CHURCHILL.

I often think of my parents (although it's balanced with the many times I was put on detention ;-) ) as heroes. They moved to this country with several suitcases and a few dollars in their pockets. The classic immigrant story... they wanted a better life for all of us. I imagine having to go through that as a adult with kids.. and I look at them in a diff light.

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Beethoven. The personal strife he overcame to produce such great music...

Steven Hawking and Carl Sagan...2 of the greatest minds in the latter half of the 20th century.

Composer Stephen Melillo. Completely self-published, he has a tremendous body of work both under comission and already performed and recorded. ALL of his success is due to word of mouth. He has a manner of discussing music and music education and teaching kids that is astounding. www.stormworld.com Check him out, music educators! Students...check him out, too. I would think most directors would welcome well-thought suggestions for music selection.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Louis Henry Gehrig, the Iron Horse of the New York Yankees. An indomitable competitor whose tragic death from Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis has always touched me and and taught me to fight, fight, fight.

Michael Medved, author and radio personality. His sheer ability to hold a principle close to heart and defend it with knowledge, wit, and pride has taught me the value of being educated and finding the excitement of history.

Arnold Jacobs, tubist w/the Chicago Symphony and teacher extarordinaire. His daring to buck the trends of brass teaching was to change the face of brass teaching forever as he backed up every single bit of pedagogy with scientific fact that was unrefutable. For this I am truly grateful to have met him and to have learned from him.

ML

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Some of my favorites:

William J. Gleason, my father. It's hard to explain - you would have had to have known him, but he was a father to 6, a law enforcement officer for 31 years, a one time President of the Nebraska chapter of the National Peace Officer's Association. Among other things, he was a smart man who taught me more than I realized at the time about all manner of things from the difference between right and wrong, guns, tools, common sense, etc.

Cal Ripkin Jr. Not only is he the current Iron Man of baseball, but he did it with such class. He's a very humble guy considering his accomplishments in baseball and he was a great role model for young kids in this country. His place in the baseball Hall of Fame is secure.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - scorching blues guitar player, and although he fought his demons with alcohol and drugs, he beat them and helped many others to beat them as well. His untimely death in a helicopter crash in 1990 robbed the world of an incredible talent.

Wynton Marsalis - he turned the world on its ear by winning Grammys in both classical and jazz in the same year. While I have never really gotten into his jazz playing, I consider many of his classical recordings as the current standard, and it was his sound that I always tried to emulate when teaching myself the trumpet back in high school.

I'm sure there are others, but at the moment, I'm drawing a blank.

6. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    I would have to say my mother and my grandfather. they both were responsible for instilling a good sense of ethics and values that I live by. my father was around but we were never close, so thanks Mom and grandpa. old geezer Dave

7. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    He's the list of my living heros:

My wife and daughter and:

Mitchell Lirtzman - he did my quadruple bypass
    Joseph Kowalski - my cardiologist
    David Autin - he did my last surgery to remove my kidney which had a tumor (stage 2 cancer)

Save my life -- make my list!!!

8. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    I wouldn't say "heroes" necessarily because I don't really believe in heroes. But I do admire a few people.
    Freddie Hubbard- One of the best ever to live IMHO.
    President Bush- No explanation needed..
    Ronald Reagan- Ditto.

-J

9. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    List of heros/people I look up to:

My Dad
    Bandman
    President Bush
    President Ronald Reagan
    Maurice Andre

Lara

10. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I consider that to be just about the highest praise I've ever been given by anyone other than my own wife and daughter! It's a list I don't deserve to be on, and by the way -- your Dad needs to always be listed first!

(((Lara)))