Personal Milestone

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by NickD, Nov 19, 2005.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

OK, it's my music, so I tend to obsess a bit. Please forgive me.

However, I am approaching 50,000 hits at Mp3unsigned.com. That would make my page the most frequently visted page on the site. That's unusual as this is not only a JAZZ page, it is a JAZZ TRUMPET page! I think this bodes well for music in general, in a world dominated by pop-rock and hip hop. Now, before you flame me, I enjoy lots of pop rock and even some hip hop, but they have it easy as far as audiences are concerned. Jazz tends to take a back seat.

In any case, I'd be pleased if some of you could help me over the top, so listen often and hit the refresh button often!

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/NickDrozdoff.ASP

Peace, all!

D/&out

2. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

I see Punk's Funk is in the 4th place on this week's chart. Way to go, Nick. The music you post sounds great!

:D

3. rbtrumpet08

rbtrumpet08 Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2004
    His music is awesome! Ive listened to it many times and have recommended it to many others. It's great music!

4. fisherman

fisherman New Friend

Jan 9, 2004
    Dear Nick,

Just thought I'd drop you a note since you were so kind about getting together when we planned to come to Chicago this fall. Unfortunately, our trip has been postponed.

As to the excerpts, really great work! I hope you have all the success you so obviously deserve and a long and happy future in all your activities, musically, personally, and with your family and friends. I have always enjoyed your postings - this forum is such a great way of connecting with people many miles and lives apart who share the same interests and is often so constructive and thought-provoking.

Good luck always,

Fisherman

5. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    yea Nicky-D punks funk is what im talking bout.
    playing them smigity smack licks and those bomb @ss triplets! :cool:

6. NickD

NickD Forte User

49518!

Almost there!

12/1/05 --> 49518 as of 6:30 PM Chicago time!

Big fun.

D/&out

7. NickD

NickD Forte User

Finally made it!

Well, here it is, 5 days since the last post I made about this, and I FINALLY crossed the 50,000 plays count!

What's sorta funny here is how small time I really am. I had an interesting experience yesterday that puts this all into persective for me.

I have been shopping for a mastering engineer to do a real solid mastering job for me on my new tunes for the CD. I have been looking and the mastering labs that are associated with the manufactures I've been investigating. So far they seem reasonably priced but I was concerned that they will not give careful attention to my music and instead just wash my stuff through some pre-packaged algorhythms for EQ, compression and limiting sucking all the life out my stuff in favor of a few more DB of pushing.

The eye opener came when, on a lark, I contacted a former student who is now a Grammy Award winning mastering engineer to see what a.) his fees were and b.) what his advice might be.

Well, it turns out a mastering from job from this fellow is a bargin at $3000 for my CD! The other outfits are coming in between $350 and $500 for the whole project! What kind of work am I likely to get for so little from these smaller outfits by comparison? See what I mean? Small time. To think that there are plenty of acts out there with the resources to do this! Man! Oh well...

I'm STILL excited to have 50,00 plays at Mp3unsigned.com! That makes mine the most oft viewed page by 8500 plays (even though big name acts get 50,00 plays per hour!!!). For a jazz act, this is pretty good. For a jazz TRUMPET act, I think it bodes well for indie sites. If there's hope, however slim, for me, there's hope for all of us.

Ostensibly, I don't care for "fame." I only want two things: to get at least one other person on the planet to enjoy listening to my music at least half as much I did in making it; and a chance to quit my day gig before I have to retire. Other than that as long as my family is comfortable and happy, I can't complain.

OK, maybe 1 out of 2 ain't too bad.
    ;-)

Peace, folks! Thanks for latting me rant.