Personal top 5 Trumpet moments.........

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The BuZZ, Jun 9, 2007.

1. The BuZZ

The BuZZ Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2007
    Chester, NY
    If you could list your top 5 Trumpet moments ( I know we all have more than 5, but work w/me here;-) ), what would they be?
    Mine:cool:

1) At my Dad's instigation playing the "Triumphant March from Aida" for my Grandfather @ age 11,

2) Playing "In a Sentimental Mood" @ a gig and having a gentleman in the audience who was celebrating his 5oth Wedding Anniversary come up to me in tears and thanking me for playing that tune the way that I did,

3) Nailing my recital for my Master's,

4) After recording a tune I penned in homage for Hendrix in a studio, the sound engineer who was a Nam vet came out and was completely blown away by the emotional impact of the tune,

5) Playing "Fidgets" with my Elementary Band my 1st year of teaching at the Annual Spring Concert!:cool:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  2. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    1) Splitting lead on "Better Get Hit in Yo' Soul" with Liesl Whitaker and the rest of the Army Blues watching backstage.

2) Performing Carnival of Venice in public for the first time.

3) Marching at the '05 DCI Semi finals with the Crossmen.

4) All-State Wind Ensemble in my senior year of high school.

5) Playing The Trumpet Shall Sound this past easter. Even though I screwed up the ending, it was totally exhilarating. The other trumpet player pulled me aside afterwards and introduced me to his father as "the guy who hit all those high notes."

None of these are really ranked. Each was great in its own right.

Interesting thread, BuZZ. I never really thought about this before.

3. The BuZZ

The BuZZ Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2007
    Chester, NY
    I was hoping to solicite such a response, hope there are more to follow!:cool:

4. youngmaynard

youngmaynard New Friend

Apr 19, 2007
    TUCSON,AZ
    1. performing maria from a westside story and nailing the ending such a defining moment.
    2. playing flight of a bumblebee minus a few notes opps in front of my parents and high school teacher
    3.playing a tune written by walter white named taps for maynard and nailing maynards trademark double high c at the end
    4.performing birdland with my high school jazz bandin front of maynard i was so nervous when he came to my high school and nervous bout the notes
    5.MEETING ONE OF THE BEST TRUMPET PLAYERS OF ALL TIME MR. WYNTON MARSALIS

5. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    In no particular order:
    1. playing the theme from the 2nd movt. Dvorak's New World for my dad when i was 7 or 8 years old, and nailing it.
    2. playing "Goldfinger" with Shirley Bassey
    3. recording the cd "Intercontinental Drift" for NYTC - a room full of incredible trumpeters and not an ego to be found.
    4. playing Last Post at a WWII vet's funeral service
    5. hearing Roger Ingram playing lead in "The Pajama Game" on Broadway.

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    It's hard to sit down and think this stuff up in five minutes. Here are the first five that pop in to my head :

1) Playing a trumpet solo in the local union band sitting in for the guy that plays it all the time. We would just play it from the back row. The high spot was hearing all the band members go up to him and say what a great job he did that day. He did tell them it was me.

2) playing a quintet gig with my high school trumpet teacher.

3) Playing the trumpet at my own wedding

4) Receiving my first Monette trumpet and playing it for the first time.

5) Playing for Charlie Schlueter and hearing him tell me how musical I play.

7. TrumpetEd

TrumpetEd New Friend

Feb 26, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    Wow, this is a tough one. I guess I would have to say:

1) During one of my lessons with Roger Ingram, he said I sounded great and ran out to get one of the sax players from Harry Connick Jr.'s band to listen to me.

2) Playing lead trumpet for Cab Calloway in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

3) Playing split lead for Bill Watrous in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

4) Playing in a special brass ensemble under the direction of Mel Broiles for New York's Metropolitan Opera

5) Performing Herbert L. Clarke's version of "Carnival of Venice" with the US Air Force Band of the Golden West

I don't know if those are necessarily my top five, but they are up there. I have had so many enjoyable moments throughout my career.

8. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    1. Performing the Fasch with the Saint Paul Civic symphony 2006

2. Pakhmatova (sp?) concerto at Student soloist concert 1995

3. Performing Gloria from B-Minor Mass 2003

4. Sight reading a band concert that had Shostakovich Festive Overture and playing 1st on it without messing it up. 1997

5. Performing Mahler 1 with the Combined Saint Paul Civic and Nagasaki Symphony (also community orchestra) In Nagasaki 1998

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  9. Veronicas_dad

Veronicas_dad New Friend

Mar 5, 2007
    Florida
    Top 5 in no particular order:
    1. Playing in a band that opened for Ella Fitzgerald and upon finishing getting a compliment from Ella herself.
    2. Playing at Super Bowl 18
    3. Playing National Anthem solo at homecoming football game in Junior year of High School
    4. First time I hit a double high C - it wasn't strong but I did it
    5. Getting called and told I had gotten job at Busch Gardens playing

10. Aspiring Trumpeter

Aspiring Trumpeter New Friend

Oct 2, 2005
    Iowa
    as follows...

1. Having a lesson with Charles Lazarus and having him tell me that I should audition out at Juilliard for grad school

2. DCI 2006 finals with the Blue Stars

3. Performing Fantaisie Brilliante in front of a master class and nailing it, the most powerful and musical performance I've had yet.

4. My first paid gig

5. A lesson with Bud Herseth!