Personal top 5 Trumpet moments.........

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The BuZZ, Jun 9, 2007.

1. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    As an audience member

1. Mahler Das Lied von Der Erde Barinboim Chicago Symphony (concerts used for Erato recording)

2. B Minor Mass with the SPCO

3. Das Rhiengold and Die Walkure at the Lyric Opera with Mehta

4. Mahler 8 MN Orchestra 2003

5. Hummel trumpet Concerto CSO Herseth 1990

2. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    how about 5 moments you would rather forget...?

1. Choking at grad school audition

2. a performance where the lips decided to collapse in the mouthpiece

3. playing in an orchestra with an organ that was pitched at 435 with a director that was yelling and screaming about intonation. (i kid you not I checked the organ with the tuner at break)

4. High School band. I had a Toscanini wannabe as a director that had the tantrums etc. but not the conducting skill or musical knowledge of Toscannini.

5. A college band that the director was always exhorting us to play softer, and then chewing us out for missing notes and intonation problems, because we were already sucking on the horn to start with and having to back off even more.

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    1) Meeting, interviewing and playing for Mr. Vacchiano

2) Sitting in with the Rebirth Brass Band

3) Playing tunes from the Arban's book for my Grandfather

4) playing taps at the Old North Church in Boston for the Fourth of July

5) As an audience member, hearing my teacher play La Mer for the last time with the BSO at Tanglewood last summer.

-Jimi

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  4. averagejoe

averagejoe Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Hard to pick a top 5, but I'll give 5 memorable moments. In no particular order:

1. Playing Canadian Brass arrangements on a quintet gig with Fred Mills and him splitting the picc parts with me... in a word, surreal!

2. My first gig in Atlanta...Easter 2000. I was fresh out of school and nobody knew me at all. I was more nervous for the rehearsal than the services...the quintet were all top-call players, and here I come in, the organist's brother! We did the Empire Brass version of the Sinfonia from Bach's Easter Cantata (BWV 249). Fortunately, I rose to the occasion, and we do that piece almost every year now...sort of a tradition.

3. The day my ears opened up and I believed I could play in the upper register. My playing took off after that, and many other walls crumbled. A defining moment, so to speak.

4. Hearing Chris Martin play the Bohme Concerto... completely revolutionized my approach to sound.

5. Hearing German Brass play (OMG, Matthias Hofs!).