petina...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Jul 31, 2009.

1. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    alright... i dont want to start a crappy thread about when to get it and stuff... recently i did some stuff with vinegar and amonia and salt... it changed my trumpet a bit... just wondering what you guys think, and if it is safe for my horn... im gonna post my pictures in just a sec

2. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you like the colors cool. The chemists (or alchemists) here will have to tell you what has happened. The blue/greenblue is a reaction with the copper. Make sure the horn is really clean and rinsed inside. I am not sure if what you did could be poisonous. Brass is a combination of copper and zinc.

Here a bit more:

Brass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check out the part on "season cracking".

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Personally, I don't like it but if you do cool.

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    The photos don't convey the colors exactly so it is hard to tell what was done where. What color is the bell flare? How did you create the nice straight boundary between the bell flare and the bell pipe? Did you just brush on the mixture that you created? How long did you leave it?

7. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    This is a two-piece bell which looks to have been
    made by two different alloys. The boundary is the
    seam where the two parts are welded/solded together.

Nice effect :cool:

8. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I really like it!! But you can already see the green coming in by the valves, I think in the 1st pic. Soon enough the whole horn will be green! Just try to keep it clean!

9. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    how do you keep it clean without losing all the green?
    will it wash off or will it stay on?

10. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    You will need tarnish remover. There are various products that are specifically made for brass tarnish (Tarn-X comes to mind). There are also generic metal polishes (Mothers Billett or Turtle Wax polishing compound) and then there are cleaning wax products. I think the cleaning wax is the best because it leaves a wax surface behind which helps to protect the metal and slow down the tarnishing rate. I picked up a can of Meguiars Cleaner Wax at an auto parts store but I imagine just about any good brand will work ok. But, whatever you do, do it frequently. It sounds like the rate of tarnish may be higher than normal now and you don't want your hands to start turning green.