Petroleum Jelly on Slides?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lakerjazz, Aug 31, 2009.

1. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    I was reading an ebay description where the seller mentioned putting vasoline on the slides. I'd never thought of it before, but tuning slide grease and petroleum jelly seem like similar enough products.

Has anyone tried this?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    it works, but doesn't last very long. Vaseline thins out really quickly.

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    It may work on tuning slides but I would not put it on my moving slides. I remember using it in HS on a crappy Amati trumpet. Worked OK, but it was rather thick for moving slides.

4. dstrad

dstrad Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    I use it on the first and third slides of my Strad along with a drop or two of Al Cass and it works very well.

5. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I've used vaseline for slides for years (hell, decades) and it works fine...

bigtiny

6. Microtrumpet

Microtrumpet New Friend

Sep 3, 2006
    Elmer, NJ/Fort Kent, ME
    never wanted to risk any damage to the horn to try. Just tried to always have some greese or i used valve oil on them.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    here is a slide that could use some Vaseline!
    [​IMG]

8. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
  9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Vasoline,[ petrolatum ], and anhydrous lanolin have been wisely suggested, but, my favorite is a mixture of those two lubricants. I use Bag Balm available from all farm supply stores, pharmacies, and most super markets in a decorative green 10 OZ tin that will last for a long lifetime, and all fo the princely sum of less than $6.00. The very nice thing about Bag Balm is that it also is meant to soften chapped skin. A fine thing to have available here in the great wintry north.

OLDLOU>>

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Petroleum jelly is not going to harm the horn. I've been using it on the slides of my Olds Super since 1964 and Bach Strad since 1970. In fact, my slides probably look better than most. It does a good job protecting from red rot and seems to hold up well.

Steve