Petroleum Jelly on Slides?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lakerjazz, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Oldfriendofmine

Oldfriendofmine New Friend

Jun 25, 2009
    New York
    You are a pretty funny guy.... :thumbsup:

2. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Is that a slide or a giant cheese grater?

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I've used petroleum jelly all my playing life (46 years now) and have never had a stuck slide. I find that using it on the moving slides along with a drop of automatic transmission fluid works excellently. Now before people get all "oh my god, not automatic transmission fluid!" let me say that as a member of NAPBIRT and a repair tech for over 30 years, I had been in the business for about 9 years when I attended a NAPBIRT convention where Gary Ferree (son of Cliff Ferree founder of Ferree's Tools, and a well respected brass technician) suggested using automatic transmission fluid as key oil for woodwinds and I've been using it ever since. It always works, it cleans as it lubricates, it displaces moisture, and the best part is that it keeps on working -- many people never have their automatic transmission fluid in their cars changed and it just keeps on working.

As a repairman, I've never run into tuning slides which have been lubricated with petroleum jelly which I've been unable to get unstick, should they be ignored for a long time. However, slides on which tuning slide grease was used and then ignored for many years have proven to be much more problematic and more expensive repairs to get unstuck.

4. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    rowuk, thanks for the laugh. I bet there's plenty of parents that would like to put their kids through a slide like that occassionaly.

crow

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Vasoline - easy, cheap and works well. Easy to clean off and lasts OK.

Also useful for Valve caps (but be careful not to use too much), sore lips and TowBalls,
    Cheers

6. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Petroleum jelly works fine on my first valve slide, but on the third it's a little sluggish. So I use petroleum jelly but wipe if off so there is still a very thin coating, then add a couple of drops of valve oil to the slides (third only). The result is that the petroleum jelly on the first and the oil/petroleum jelly on the third allow both slides to move freely and they each feel like they have exactly the same resistance.

The only down side is I have to redo the third valve slide more often than the first valve slide, but it still lasts a couple of weeks.

The point is not to mix lubricants, but that you probably should experiment to find the right lubricant for each of your slides on your own horn.

Jonathan

7. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Everyone here seems to be talking about the wonders of Vaseline. I used it for many years and fought the case of buildup on the slides etc. I now use Ultra Pure slide grease and it is great. No buildup and the slides work great.

8. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005

I've never used commercial slide grease... what's the cost comparison between it and vaseline??

bigtiny

9. Jim Kot

Jim Kot New Friend

Mar 3, 2007
    Prudenville, Mi.
    I use to use vasoline, used it for years with no problems, and now that I can afford it I use slide grease, and still no problems.

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I've tried all the rest, now I use the best. Schilke slide grease.