Petroushka Articulation Question...

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Pedal C, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Manny...

A question about the articulation of the Petroushka Balerina's Dance came up in our orchestral excerpts class the other day. At the end of the sixteenth note passages, do you slur into, or tongue the written g (second line) at the end? The last copy I looked at had a slur and a staccato mark on that g. It seems like you could make a case for that note belonging to either the slured phrase or the tongued phrase following it. Soooo, how do you prefer to play it (or maybe, how have you been asked to play it!) and how do you recommed preparing it for an audition situation. I've practiced it both ways, but which do you think is the one to present first, knowing you probably won't play it again?

And do you use C trumpet or a smaller horn? Thanks!

Jason.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Nope, says I. The harmony ends ends at the F. The new phrase begins at the G pickups.

Anyway, I slur into the G and play it short. I play it on c trumpet but it would be fun sometime to play it on an F! But then, that would be three horns to schlepp onto stage (if doing the '47 version) C, F, piccolo Bb. I hate having more than one horn on stage if I can avoid it at all.

ML