Phaeton Custom Review #5: Mark a.k.a. 11th Chair

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Heavens2kadonka, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Mark's review on the Phaeton should begin shortly. As he is not a member here (as of right now, I believe), I will be relaying all of his thoughts, copy-and-paste, here from another forum.

Mark is a Yamaha Xeno player, and has had the priviledge to try out one of the few Stage 1 California's in circulation.

Will keep you guys posted.

Van

2. 11thchair

11thchair Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    Sorry Van - I am a member of this forum but I hang out at the Brass Forum. I'll save you the trouble of cut and paste.

I have been out of town for a little over 2 weeks and the horn arrived at the beginning of of those 2 weeks. Talk about torture.

Anyway I came home last night and gave the horn a few minutes before going to bed. My thoughts are here http://www.ibowtie.com/brassforum/viewtopic.php?p=9785&highlight=#9785

I think it helps to understand the reviewers background to view the review through the reviewers eyes. Does that make sense?

11thchair is a comeback player. He played in Jr Hi and High School. Mediocre player. Played on a Getzen Eterna (1965 - original owner). Went to college and the trumpet did not see the light of day until the mid nineties. Decided to actually play it again a couple of years ago. Last year I bought a Xeno to be my primary horn. I liked the dark mellow sound and felt it was a good all around section horn. (I'm not a soloist). Unlike H.S. where I goofed around, I practice now, enjoy playing. I think I sound better now - have at least an octive more range now. Trying to get a consistant double C.

Anyway that is 11thchair.

3. 11thchair

11thchair Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In