phantom symphonies

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by davidjohnson, Feb 1, 2005.

1. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    esteemed manny:

tunes conjured from the musical scraps left behind by dead guys....you know; tchaikovsky 7, completed bruckner 9, beethoven 10, mahler 10 (several versions)...do you get to play many of those? do the orchestras or audiences like them?

i really do like the tchaikovsky 7 (bogatyryev) & mahler 10 (cooke, not heard the others)...didn't care much for beethoven 10.

dj

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear DJ,

The only things I've played are , Schubert 10th (didn't like it), Mahler 10th Cooke (loved it!) and Turandot, the Puccini opera finished by Calefano (so-so as far as the ending is concerned).

The audiences seem to take these things with a grain of salt and appreciate satisfying a curiosity, it seems.

ML

3. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Last year the HSO did Bruckner 9 and played the old and recent pieces of manuscript found throughout the world of Bruckner's finale to this piece. They paused after each section they had in writing then Hans Graf talked a bit about it. He then stated that Bruckner's last request was to play his completed 9th symphony (although that never happened) followed by his Te Deum at his funeral as an apology to God, and that's what HSO did, with the exception of the completed part, it was a very interesting concert, I enjoyed it a lot and learned quite a bit as well.