Phil Driscoll

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Apr 19, 2012.

1. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I just watched a Youtube video of Brother Phil and it called him a "one of the greatest jazz trumpeters" playing..... blah blah blah music. I never thought of Phil as a jazz trumpeter. Am I correct in this or not? I just thought he improvized on the music, but not necessarily jazz.

Next question. If you learn "jazz" I assume you learn to improvise. If that is a correct assumtion then can you play any music and improvise without actually playing jazz?

2. pintocb

pintocb New Friend

Jan 1, 2011
    I think so. There is a difference between improv, and jazz, although I sometimes use them as synonyms myself. I grew up listening to Phil, and have a ton of respect for his playing...(singing...not so much <grin>) He was a strong player. I've never heard him play "jazz" though. I imagine he would have made a great lead player in his prime.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I was at many concerts of Phil's in the 90's --- very decent sort of guy, funny also -- and an awesome trumpet player. I don't like his singing so much. I think it is improvisation --- and not so much a jazz genre. His concerts were contemporary Christian music --- and in my opinion he has a style of his own.
    I have his classic hymns album, and he also adds grace notes, and some of his "extra note" style --- but nonetheless, I love his trumpet playing ---

4. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    I always felt that Brother phil was at best a monster trumpet player and at worse still a monster trumpet player!!!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  5. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I concur that no one would list him a list of Jazz players at all; but as far as Gospel he is close to tops in his field. Actually his singing and phrasing is more akin to jazz than his trumpet playing. Singers who use distinctive phrasing, (ie think Louis Armstrong) were respected as much for their phrasing in singing. But Satchmo literally is credited with inventing Jazz for his
    cornet/ trumpet playing. I could never put Phil in that category. Phil really opened solo trumpet playing in the Gospel realm than anyone else in the modern era. But don't forget Satchmo played " O' When the Saints.". So the delta, Dixie, blues was instrental in the foundation of jazz.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I also grew up listening to Phil. I think the statement has more to do with PR and marketing than anything else. I've seen him live and he never had anything besides a "band in a can". Hard to play jazz and improv to a tape. Monster player? Absolutely! Jazz singer? Hmm, if you like Joe Cocker, then I say yeah. What he has done, and is still doing, is amazing considering that most churches music programs are guitar/piano driven (except at my church were trumpets rule!). I just watched a Lakewood video of a song called "Moving Forward" . We do it and the horn chart is tight IMO! The players had their horns on their lips but I could hear nothing! VERY DISAPPOINTING. But you could hear all 6 guitars and backround singers (not all those singers should have a mike :bash:). To most "churchfolk", what Phil does is VERY JAZZY!! That's why I say it's PR and marketing.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  7. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    I always liked Phil's use of effects processing with his trumpet. I don't know that I've heard anyone else do it like him. It was probably overdone back in the 80's but it was so gee-whiz cool back then.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Especially in a church!! :D

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I have several of his CDs and have seen him live several times. Really like his playing until he starts using all the electronics and reverb. I was told he used to play for Joe Cocker [I think] back in his youth when he was a wild man before he got his Faith. I think that is where he picked up his singing but I must add he really puts his heart and soul into his singing. I enjoy his playing but really like Dan Oxley, check him out.

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Improvisation does not make it jazz. One can improvise classically. That is how Gounod came up with the Ave Maria played over Praeludium 1 from the Well Tempered Klavier.