Phil Smith Recordings

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by rms573, Feb 13, 2005.

1. rms573

rms573 New Friend

Feb 8, 2005
    Can anybody tell me what some good recordings are of the New York Philharmonic featuring phil smith?

I have a couple of his solo cd's and the escerpt cd...but none with the NY philharmonic.

Thanks.

2. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Mahler 5 with Mehta is AWESOME. Amazing trumpet playing - really really really worth looking into.

Also the Copland 3 / Quiet City disk with Bernstein is one to pick up!

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I like the one of Shos 5 with Bernstein.

4. latinjazzcat

latinjazzcat Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    I really dig the recording they did of Pictures....I can't remember who's conducting, but I believe it was recorded in '89 or '90.

5. yesenia

yesenia New Friend

Feb 7, 2005
    Bloomington, IN
    Heck yeah Jack D! That recording of Mahler 5 with Mehta is paralyzing! The best one I have yet heard.

6. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    You must be talking about the one conducted by Sinopoli on Deutsche Gramophone. Out of print, I think, but floating around (check auctions on ebay and amazon).

7. Johntpt

Johntpt Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Toluca, Mexico
    One CD that will blow your mind is the Ellen Taaffe Zwilich Concerto for Trumpet and 5 Players conducted by Zubin Mehta on the New World label. This Concerto is ferociously difficult, and Mr. Smith plays brilliantly and flawlessly. In fact I can't imagine it played much better! Recorded in 1988 this CD also features a nice piece for full orchestra called Symbolon which features fantastic brass writing.

JU

8. rms573

rms573 New Friend

Feb 8, 2005
    Has anybody had a chance to hear the CD Phil recorded for an etude book "Concert Studies For Trumpet"? It has to be one of the best tone's I've ever heard. Everything he plays sounds so perfect and very musical at the same time.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Yes.... It is a fantastic book and CD!