Phrase/slur marks

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Sep 30, 2012.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    How can you tell the differance between some phrase marks and slur markings, many thanks.

2. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    I don't get the question, I reckon you mean sheet music, but it won't be a real problem to see what's what, or do you want to know the difference?

3. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    In many music books it is hard to tell the differance betwen phrase marks and slur markings as they are very much the same ie a curved line connecting them.

4. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Phrase marks are over several notes and further away from the notes and slur marks are mostly over two notes or a group of matching notes. That's how I would explain it.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It would appear from you description those phrases are being marked to be slurred. Is there anyway to post a pic of what you are seeing notated to help us appreciate exactly what you are seeing notated?

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Check the link below. Is this what you are seeing? If so, this would relate to what I posted above.

Slurs (Phrase Marks)

7. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    While I am not certain for which he writes, I believe that what he is asking is that in one phrase, several notes within a bar will have the slur marking over them, and in another bar, the slur marking will have accent markings above them. I was just practicing them in a version of Satin Doll.

8. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    That link is fantastic and just what i mean, how do you know if you should play that as a slur ie no tongue or is the curved line indicating that the music is a phrase and should be played together and tongued. Many thanks for your efforts.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That phrase from the link is completely slurred, that is what the curved line is indicating, with no tonging throughout the complete phrase.

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I wonder if the OP is asking about phrase meaning where to break with a breath? I.e., comma marks.