Physical effects of playing trumpet.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Big Daddy, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
  2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    You want to scare us to eliminate the competition? ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I hear that the Dizzy-ness can be a problem, I think I heard something about some guy had a horrible case from 1935 to 1993.

4. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I knew this article sent to me would encourage some good comedy here. :D

5. jake g

jake g Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    The only thing hurting on my body is my feet.
    What might I be doing wrong?

6. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Yes ladies and gentlemen here once again is proof that playing trumpet is a hazardous job and is not for the faint of heart, weak of knees, young infants or the elderly. It is suggested that if you intend on playing trumpet you have a good health insurance carrier, and lead players, always be sure to carry a first aid kit in your case for those emergencies, to include a bronchodilator, a de-fib unit (fully charged of course, which can also be used to punish any mis-aligned reed players), blood transfusion kit, oxygen and a good supply of smelling salts to wake up the other passed out trumpet players in your section, (Note, smelling salts work good to also cover up any gaseous remnants from supper). Remember your in charge of keeping the section alive through the gig, as this is the responsibility of the lead player, you’re the oldest, and wisest of the group and the others will look up to you for first responder care when needed. One last note be sure that you always carry on your person your medical insurance card so you get the proper care should you be unconscious when in need of first aid……or if you need to verify proof of age, some of those bar tenders can be a real pain….Time to go practice, hope I make it through it ! :play:

turtlejimmy likes this.
  7. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Boy, am I glad I don't play tuba!!ROFL

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I've discussed this at length with my doctor who is monitoring my cardiovascular system closely. My blood pressure is normal - and he can't believe that I can sit in his surgery with the blood pressure cuff on my arm, and with Robin's "circular breathing" excercise (no, not the one for playing digiredoo) I am able to quickly drop my blood pressure at will - he gets me to do it every time - reckons I must be stressed when I walk in.

He has - over time - carried out an EKG and stress tests and other medical stuff associated with that prostate thing - (Ted shudders at this point) - and the diagnosis is that my heart is as "fit as a Mallee Bull" - mind you, I don't play too many screamer notes in the 3rd chair.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    there are many Dr.'s on TM, but I heard that the BEST DOC of them all is in his 80's, and still going strong --- and he once played with a Dizzy spell, or played with Dizzy for a spell--- well, for a time or two anyhow. ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I always thought dizziness was the result of doing something incorrectly while playing high (overblowing perhaps?). Good to know what muscles to exercise though --- heart and lips. I can think of a certain activity that'll do just fine...