Physics of the different types of mutes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Sep 15, 2012.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I have been studying some acoustics recently , it seems that the bubble harmon and straight mutes would approximate a helmholtz resonator pretty well, at least in the shape. I wonder if there are any special physical properties of the other mutes. The solotone for example seems to be a cylinder for example, though I am not quite sure how long or wide it is.

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    You stick it in the bell it changes the sound what more do we need to know. Sorry that isn't quite as sarcastic as it sounds but I do worry about over thinking things for our playing.

GijsVis likes this.
  3. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    I guess Miles didn't write a song called "Miles Davis runs the udu down" then.:-P

4. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'd answer that If I knew what the udu was and where you could stick it. Seriously I wasn't having a go. I do hear so often (not especialy on here) theories for this that and the other and really I would hate to loose the artistry in a balze of Physics

5. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    You call yourself and artist? You don't even know what an udu is.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Udu it too! It's a type of pottery Nigerian drum, but looks like a very leaky jug to me. I've seen some street performers using somewhat the same made from 2 liter plastic bottles.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    udu man!

8. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    "Sit Udu Sit"?

9. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    Anyhoo, I made a tone by blowing across the top of my straight mute, and it produced a Bb tone. I wonder if you could have twelve mutes for each different key, maybe like those aluminum bottle mutes only each mute cut down to the specific helmholtz resonant frequency. I am thinking it would be like a twelve pack of tone.

10. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Anyone say pan pipes. I came across the most boring CD ever the other day Pan Pipes play Daniel O' Donnell. A case of the Bland leading the Bland. As opposed to the wonderful case of Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocceli which was the Bland leading the Blind