Pianissimo flutter tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    How do all of you cope with that? In otherwords, do you have a technique or trick you use to keep it going when making a decrescendo?

2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    I practise starting at a comfortable volume and getting quieter.

I find starting a note fluttered at pp more difficult, but if I think a slightly slower flutter it seems to help.

3. lonelyangel

lonelyangel Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2003
    London
    Practice the Caruso breath control studies SLS on the six notes. Its really to do with efficiency of playing and supporting the air stream equally at slow or fast air speeds.

All the best. Noel.

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I try to accomplish the same things Noel and Mike suggest by fluttering one( or two) flow study pattern as part of my warm-up. I also think "slow flutter" and it seems to help.

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you all. I have done most of what has been mentioned, but my question is a bit more specific. Yes, slow flutter is great for soft playing, but what do you do when you are fluttering away at a comfortable volume and must decrescendo as you complete a phrase? That is what I am asking about more specifically. When coming down in volume from "f" or "mf" to "p", how do you keep the flutter going without interruption?

6. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    I am sure Manny could help with this one. ;-)

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, I am sure once he takes off his Maestro hat and puts his trumpet hat back on, he will come to my rescue. LOL.

BTW - I love the new avatar. Great pic of Dizzy.

8. lonelyangel

lonelyangel Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2003
    London
    Alex, if you practice the SLS Caruso study you will be starting at pppp and making a crescendo to your loudest volume and then back down again. Play them first without fluttering, so you get used to the increase and decrease in air speed, and then introduce a flutter. You may find that you cannot get the notes to start so quietly, due to the disturbance your tounge causes to the air stream, and you may also not be able to play so loudly when you are fluttering for the same reason.

It may not ever be possible for you to control a fluttered note in the same dynamic range as a clean note - but if you practice this technique you will surely push back the parameters within which you can flutter.

I tend to disagree woith the idea of thinking of a slow flutter however.

My suggestion would be to try to keep the rate of flutter constant and to focus on how it feels to be fluttering at any given airspeed. Then as you increase or decrease the airspeed try to keep hold of the feeling of fluttering - just as in the regular study you would focus on holding on to the vibration in your lips.

Hope this helps. Noel.

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks so much Noel! I will try what you suggest. It makes perfect sense.

10. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota

Thanks...Dizzy was and still is something...I am setting up a lesson with Mr. Laureano the end of March...he is one busy individual!!! :-)