Pianist wanting to learn new instrument to play in an orchestra

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adrenalyn, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Adrenalyn

Adrenalyn New Friend

Apr 13, 2010
    Hello,
    I am a 17 years old pianist and I have been playing trumpet for the past couple of months. I have started trumpet because I really aspire to soon play in an orchestra (or concert band or jazz band... etc.), and also want to learn a portable instrument that I can play anywhere I go.

The question I am asking myself now is if I should switch over to another instrument like the violin because it might be easier to join an amateur local orchestra (since there are more violinists in an orchestra than trumpets). My question is actually which of the following instruments should I learn in order to learn as fast as possible and to be able to play in an orchestra as soon as possible:
    -Trumpet
    -Sax
    -French Horn
    -Violin
    -Flute
    -Oboe

If any of you know anyone who has learned these as a beginner adult and got into a group/orchestra in a year or two, would you please tell me how and which instrument he learned.

Thank you for your time,
    Samuel

2. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    So are you wanting to learn a new instrument for the sake of joining an orchestra?

I guess if that is your goal, then trumpet isn't the best bet, since you will have a lot of exposed parts, but I'd say that with any instrument, you really need to take the time to learn it and sound good on that instrument to consider an orchestra, and trumpet might be easier or harder for you than other instruments, depending on who you are and how your body is built...

Sorry I don't have much more to say... I'm still learning, so take this as a grain of salt. I'm interested as to say what the masters have to say on this forum

Edit... I did hear from my friends that Flute and Oboe were really hard to start out with (taking a week or so for the first note to come out) where trumpet was mostly brute force. :-)

3. cuttlefishii

cuttlefishii New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    If you just really want to get into an orchestra, go for viola. Orchestras usually always need good violists~

Violin... depending on how large the orchestra is and how large of an area they're pulling from, might not be the best opition. Talk to the conductor and see if they need them. Same goes for trumpet. Trumpet's a very popular instrument in other formats like school bands and jazz bands, so when it comes to orchestras where there's usually only 2 or 3 spots there's usually a good deal of competition.

4. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    I would say the fastest instrument to learn would be a stringed instrument. But you can't learn the stringed instruments overnight. It usually takes two days.:D (Just kidding) I think it would be the fastest to be able to play with a good tone. Since you play the piano you have a huge advantage of playing any instrument. You already understand how the soprano, alto, tenor, and bass notes blend together with cord progressions.
    Good Luck-Bobby

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yeah, sure

You can be good enough to play in an orchestra in a very short time, one month of practice should get you right in on trumpet.

I don't believe most ochestras carry saxes, but that would be even quicker, maybe two weeks of serious practice would make you good enough to play sax in an orchestra.

The others (violin, flute oboe) will take longer.

Keep us informed!

6. cloudnine

cloudnine Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2008
    Play timpanis.

7. Bugler

Bugler Banned

You already play an instrument with FAR MORE income earning potential. Stick with that. And then please have a look at some Rick Wakeman videos on YouTube. Best of luck.