Pic Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eoliver, Dec 10, 2004.

1. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hey Manny,
    I was wondering if you had any advice on increasing endurance on piccolo trumpet. I've been working on the Telemann concerto. The one with the slow high first movement, and am fine until the last line, and then just can't make it the rest of the way. Also, we just performed the band transcription of John Adam's "Short Ride in a Fast Machine." Though I made it throught the concert, it was by no means a piece of cake. How do you make these works easy?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Eric,

What a coincidence! I've recently pulled that out as well to get ready for the Messiah so, I can relate.

I've performed that piece many, many times in my career and you're right, the last line is the litmus test that tells you whether you should even bother with the rest.

Let's look at a few things:

If you started the piece with the last line you'd have no problem, I'm guessing. However, when you play the first few lines first you have issues with the last line.

Logically, something's changing as you progress through the first movement. For some players, the lips collapse outward. For others there's no sound at all, just air.

In both cases, the embouchure isn't sustaining itself. Since you say you can get through all but the last line we have to assume that the part of the embouchure that holds it together is failing.

My guess, is that if you play it through and cut out before it's over, is that your corners are slowly shifting into a smile instead of remaining forward and down. You are being forced, then to use more pressure which cut's out the vibrations and then, obviously, the sound.

The key here is to practice the techniques that will teach the corners to stay put and behave.

Start with arpeggios in C major and progress to Ab or A major if you can. About 60 to the quarter, one quarter per note. Just do one octave at a time at first and when you get to F major go down to the low F and start 2 octaves.

Notice whether your set up changes as you ascend. I'm guessing it does but if you find where that is and make a point of stabilizing it by keeping it where it should be you'll notice a greater ability to play up there longer.

Use your vibrato if you like. Don't let it sound boring and sterile because "it's just arpeggios". Make it gorgeous. If you don't own a record of Maurice Andre playing it, then get one. His interpretations of this piece are perfection.

To sum up:

1)Stabilize the embouchure to create good sounds in all registers.
    2)Practice patiently and with artistry.
    3)Listen to a great artist interpret this music and let that beauty inspire you to great things.

Write back and keep us apprised.

ML

3. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Nice exercise, Manny! I'm going to give it a try. :)

4. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks for the advice, Manny. I'll be sure to keep you posted on my progress.
    I am also in search of a better Pic mouthpiece. Right now I'm playing on a Schilke 13A4, and I like it, but I don't know if it's entirely right for me. I tried the Monette pic mouthpieces, and liked them a lot, but don't think they were the right size. Do you know which Monette size is comprable to the 13A4, or if there's any other manufacturer that would be good? I play a Schilke P5-4, so they have to be cornet shank.
    Thanks again,