Picc for quintet/chamber

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Anonymous, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I've played a Schilke P5-4 for years, but am interested in getting a picc for quintet and chamber/solo playing. I want something a little sweeter in sound than the Schilke. Here's what I've been thinking about:

-Selmer Paris
    -Lawler
    -Benge

What would you guys go for?

2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have the Yamaha 9820C (the one w/4th rotor). It is the best piccolo that I have ever played (and I have played quite a few).

3. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I really like my Scherzer. Its more work than my P54, but I much prefer the sound. You might have to try more than one to get what you like, but its worth a shot.
    Good luck in your search!

Roy

4. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I used to play the long bell Yammie until I got my Selmer, I find it works better for quintet work, and I personally thinks it works great for everything else, one of the better investments I've made.

5. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    The Scherzer or Selmer- if you find good ones - are really good for that kind of playing. Just depends on which sound you like.

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    My Selmer isn't very good. Even with the Blackburn lead pipe it still plays out of tune. Great sound though.

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Have you played any of these?
    If not - do that before you expect our opinions to match yours or otherwise.
    If you can find a bunch of trumpeters who will agree on which is the best piccolo (or anything else) I would suggest that they are all freaks.

Of those you mentioned - I would go for the Benge, but ahead of that I would put Yamaha, Getzen, Kanstul, F Besson, Blackburn, Scherzer, Galileo, Eclipse (when it is finally finished) - all of whom I would take over the Schilke.

You need to find the piccolo that works best FOR YOU, not the one that works best FOR US.

I have only played a couple of piccolos I would play in preference to my F Besson, and I can't afford those (Blackburn and Galileo), but not everyone would agree on that. Some people seem to like the Schilke :shock:

If you want a different sounding piccolo, try some out - if you like the sound you make on it, that is the one FOR YOU.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Well, I guess I was mistaken. I thought this was a place to ask advice from others and learn from what other people have experienced. You know, as much as I enjoy the Manny/Wilmer sections of TM, I think that the people on TH are a little more eager to help each other out (though this is not a rule).

Thank you to those of you who had an opinion and were kind enough to share it.

9. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    Mr. Peabody,

Have you thought of using a Louisville leadpipe on your P5-4? I have had great experiences with Cliff's pipes. I have found that they typically play much "darker" than stock pipes and they just might be what you need. It would be a lot cheaper than buying a new horn!

best of luck

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Good idea! I was thinking of trying that. Thanks!