Picc Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by sinfoniantrumpeter, Apr 10, 2005.

1. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    Hi Manny,

First of all, let me thank you for taking time to frequent this site. I am also a member of the TH and missed your insights very much when you left.

Now to the business at hand...I currently play a B1-1/C1-1 and am looking for a good Monette picc piece. What would you suggest? I currently play a Bach 7D

Thanks a lot!

Carl

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    My apologies to Manny for jumping the gun...

I play C/B/E 1-2s usually, but for picc, I have found the BP/AP 4LD combo to work nice. Someone told me that the 4LD is the equivolent of a Schilke 14a4, but I don't really know what that means...

Charlie Schlueter, for whom the 1-1 rim that you play was designed, uses a 1-1 for piccolo as well. He has a Raja-type integral mouthpiece piccolo in A that sounds amazing. Of course, he'd sound good on almost anything, so maybe the Raja picc with a 1-1 mouthpiece isn't practical for everyone...

-Jimi

PS Manny, did you happen to try any Prana picc mouthpieces when you were out there in Portland?

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Sinfonia...,

I don't play the regular picc mpc Dave makes because I don't have one of his horns. I have, instead an older Selmer with which I use one of Dave's lead mpcs!

The bad news is I don't recall the size (partially because I have a bad habit of not paying attention to that stuff) as it's on loan to a friend. It's not anything approaching a 1-1 type rim. Too big for me. It's a bit more like standard size, slightly smaller mpcs. It works fantastically well, though. If you play a 7D already, you might like the same kind of mpc I like.

ML