Picc Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by fnchdrms87, Feb 26, 2007.

1. fnchdrms87

fnchdrms87 New Friend

Apr 18, 2006
    I play a bach 1 1/4C for Bb and C... what kind of picc mouthpiece is "compatible" or used most often with a 1 1/4C?

2. TheRiddler

TheRiddler Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2006
    USA
    I used to play a 1 1/4 C and for picc I used a 3D with it... goodluck!

3. Trombadave

Trombadave New Friend

Jan 18, 2007
    There are two schools of thought on pic mouthpiece selection. Some folks never change rims, only cup depths. In your situation, they would recommend a Bach 1 1/4 D or E. The other school of would say to switch to something smaller all around. I play a Bach 1 1/2 on Bb but on pic, I play a Haefner 7HXP which is similiar to a Bach 7D. It really depends on they way you play. I wish I did not need to change rims, but I fall into and bottom out in larger diameter/ shallow cups.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I have no way of knowing. Nobody does except you.

All I can recommend is a shallower cup with the same rim if you like your rim. Otherwise, experiment with a great variety of rim and cup combinations. Listen for intonation and sound.

ML

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    A Bach 10 1/2 C. Many players whom play on 1Cs to 3Cs play this comfortably and successfully on piccolo. I have used a 10 1/2 C for about 13 years. I play a GR equivalent now and it is a bit more comfy with the same sound. 63P-M/#45 sleeve.

6. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    as manny said, experiment. i play on the laskey 75 series which is in the 1.25 range and use his 75P with an adapter for piccolo and that seems to work the best for me. but do try 7e, 10.5e etc too what works for me might not work well for you.

7. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Everyone seems to have good advice. You can either keep your rim size or move to smaller one, whichever works best for you. I play a B12 and use a Laskey 40* (it's called something else now, I think) for pic. Last year I tried to use a Laskey 70* so that the diameter was similar, but I couldn't get it to work. You'll just have to experiment to find what works best. 3D/E, 7D/E and 10 1/2C would probably be good places to start.

Whatever mouthpiece you pick, listen to a lot of great piccolo playing so that you're starting out with a good concept of sound. That'll make any mouthpiece change much less disruptive, in my opinion.

Good Luck!

Jason.

8. mcstock

mcstock New Friend

Aug 15, 2005
    Norman OK
    Alex,

With the 10 1/2C did you use the standard backbore or the 117?

Thanks,
    Matt

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA

Hey Matt. Standard here. I never did like the 117 backbore, but that is just me.

10. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    My view is that you should avoid any mouthpiece which envourages you to pile on the pressure when playing piccolo because this will have the opposite effect to what you want.

I play on the same rim as on Bb trumpet but its a big rim and sometimes I would like to be on something smaller.
    However when I try smaller ones they don't seem to help as much as I think they should and the sound is worse.

A lot of it is going to come down to how you want to sound and whether you are playing as a soloist or as part of an orchestra or ensemble. This also comes down to what kind of trumpet you are using (narrow bore or more modern larger bore type).

Think about the sound primarily and work back from that to whatever helps you achieve that sound.

(Interestingly I can tootle away quietly on the pic for long periods but as soon as I have to play louder I seem to put on the pressure. Its an odd and very annoying habit i am trying to get out of).