Piccolo advice please: Scherzer & Selmer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by X3Lb, Aug 15, 2010.

1. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Shrewsbury UK & Lanzarote
    Hi Guys
    I'm anew member andimpressed by the advice seen while viewing as aguest.(For some reason my keyboard wo't let me correct typo's and I have no cursopr while typing, so excuse any falts).

I have a Yamaha custom 9830 and I am considering adding another picc to give a more mellow colur tone. I have looked at what individuals say about their own instruments Scherzer and Selmer.

The cour tone (colour) of the Maurice Andre is what I wold like to develop more. I know he used the 67 Selmer Picc for many recordings but I have heard conflicting opinions on its intonation.

If I went for the Scherzer with standard bell would I get this same quality of tonal colour.?

What advice do you have regarding R/H 4th valve operation + L/H tuning spatula versus L/H 4th valve operation, therefore no tuning spatula.?

If you have both Scherzer and Selmer it will be interesting.

Look forward to your views, thanks.

2. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    The only one I've ever played is a Shilke, but it felt very good. You should check them out.

3. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Thanks,

I have the Schilke X3L b and E3L which I really like, but at the time I purchased my Yam 9830 (6 years ago) the Schilke P5 was outside my budget.

At the moment I feel the differences between 9830 and P5 4 would possibly not add the extra tonal colour, so that was why I was considering the Scherzer or Selmer as a second Picc.

I'm very interested to hear all views to broaden the picture.

4. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Personally, I think that the Scherzer has a nice dark, warm sound. But I've also heard players who sound dark on Yamahas. I don't have much experience with Selmers.

Good luck -
    Tony

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I retired my Selmer when I bought my Scherzer--it sits about half way between the Schilcke intonation, response and Selmer sound: The Scherzer is more in tune than the Selmer but has more weight to the sound than a Schilke. I've been able to rattle church windows with it in Germany (insert evil laugh)!

Even have made a number of violists jump at some of those "PANG" moments in
    Bach cantatas (insert evil laugh again).

Hope this helps.

6. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Thanks Tony

I know Piccs can be a potential minefield.
    Do you know if there is much difference with the Sterling Silver bell option on the Scherzer please.

7. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Thanks Vulgano

So would you say there is little value in adding a Selmer rather than a Scherzer.?

Any experience or thoughts on the Sterling bell option and the Left or Right hand 4th valve operation please ?

8. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I have a Schilke p5-4 and a Scherzer sterling bell pic. The scherzer works better for me in small ensembles and with vocal soloists. The Schilke is a bit more sterile sounding and easier to play in tune for me

9. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    The Scherzer should be more different from your Yamaha than the Selmer will, and as a bonus should play more in tune than the Selmer. If you're going for contrast, I would definitely pick the Scherzer. Not only will the sound be different, but the other playing characteristics - response, articulation, etc - will be as well.

Stuart

10. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010

Thanks Sterling

What are your views on the layout of the valve keys?

Do you have any problems adjusting to operating the 4th valve with your pinky finger or £rd slide tuning. Appreciate your feedback.