Piccolo advice please: Scherzer & Selmer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by X3Lb, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I didn't know that there were two configurations of my scherzer when I bought it. I would have preferred the offset fourth valve paddle as that is how I play my schilke.

2. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Shrewsbury UK & Lanzarote
    Hi Sterling

Do you have the LH 3rd tuning slide paddle please and if so do you find you need to use it.

Thanks

3. Bagnewauckland

Bagnewauckland Pianissimo User

Dec 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    I have a Selmer, and one of my teachers has a Scherzer (and I bought the Selmer from him). I've found the Scherzer has better intonation overall, and has a different tone - rounder, slightly mellower, I guess. The Selmer plays in tune much better on the A side than on the Bb side, but the Bb side's workable with a bit of lipping and some alternate fingerings (1+3 for Gs and Ds, 2+4 for C#, etc.). The Scherzer I've played has the Fourth valve on the RHS, and the tuning paddle on the LHS, which works quite well, once you've figured out a comfortable way to hold it and access the paddle.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you want to play like Maurice André, you have to be him. The horn did not create his sound - he did. He had a very mellow way of playing.

The Scherzer is darker and fuller sounding. You should get the paddle. Sterling doesn't help.

5. Sterling

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I don't help? I thought my replies were pretty truthful.

6. Kayin

Kayin Pianissimo User

May 30, 2010
    He meant the sterling bells.

7. Sterling

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    D'oh! The sterling bell is nice. I agree, it might not be necessary. I wasn't able to try two horns side by side. I bought the sterling bell because of my experiences with a Bach 43 sterling bell and a King Silvertone. I like the way the overtones ring.

8. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Thanks for your views tpetplyr

I am getting the feeling that the Selmer may be a less viable option.

In the area where I live its difficult to get hold of a range of Piccolo's to compare.

Have you by any chance played the 2 types of bell on the Scherzer to compare the characteristics of one with the other.?

9. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Thanks rowuk,

Yes I wish !!

Do you find the mouthpiece choices for the P54 and the Scherzer need to be much different. ?

At the moment I'm using Schilke 14A4X on the Yam 9830.

Is there any other feedback you can give me on the Scherzer please.?

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I do not really recommend mouthpieces. I consider that type of advice useless. Only trying it gives a meaningful answer. I never needed different mouthpieces between rotary and piston valved piccs.