Piccolo advice please: Scherzer & Selmer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by X3Lb, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Rowuk is correct about mouthpieces. Use what works. I use either a Bach 3c or a Monette AP6 on both my Schilke and Scherzer. Again, the Schilke is more precise and the Scherzer is more fluid from note to note. It's nice to have two pics.

2. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Shrewsbury UK & Lanzarote

Thanks Sterling & rowuk

My question was prompted from my experience with the Couesnon Flugal.

When I took the decision to buy I was fortunate to be able to have it on approval for a week. I took it to a large agent in he UK and I was able to play it against the Bach Strad, the Bobby Shew and a couple of others on the Rodrigo Adagio. Using the same mouthpiece for all Flugals was a problem particularly for the Strad, which played a quarter tone sharp octave to octave. It seems from your experience on the Piccs. this sort of variability could be less of a problem. (Needless to say the "buttery" tone of the 60's Couesnon won hands down.)

I live in the Canary Isles now so it's difficult to organize opportunities to find let alone compare instruments before deciding on buying, hence my appreciation to yourselves and other members to gain a better "feel" for the Scherzer.

From your experience with Scherzers is there likely to be much difference instrument to instrument.?

Any experience of importing one, or after sales service ?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  3. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I live in upstate New York and could not get any of the local music stores to get any Scherzers for me to try. I finally had Woodwind and Brasswind out of Indiana send me one to try. They have a good return policy here in the US. This is the only one I've ever played so I can't compare it to another Scherzer, only other pics that I've played: Getzen,Schilke,Benge,Bach,LeBlanc,Stomvi,and Yamaha.

4. ChiefNate

ChiefNate New Friend

Nov 3, 2008
    Memphis TN USA
    Hello, and here's Nate on piccs-
    You want André, a Selmer will provide the tone. However, remember that André played with a breadth of tone that made the smaller sound come alive, while remaining light. My Selmer was a 4-valve with Louisville pipes to open up the sound, and I used it from '77 to '87.
    My Scherzer has what the others describe- a warmer, easier-to-blend chamber sound. The few orchestral exposures have been Handel and Bach, and the switch from 'Aria' soloist to 1st in a large ensemble was easy. For chamber music I still think it's the best. Nothing like playing Cantata 51 in Eb on an A picc 'cause the G trumpet broke!
    I remember Stephen Burns' first album cover with the l/h 4th valve setup. He said it deadened the sound quite a bit to grip the horn to give access, but that was 1988!
    Hoping this helps,
    Nathan Wilensky
    Memphis TN

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  5. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Shrewsbury UK & Lanzarote
    Thanks guys

Thats very interesting and useful.

Nate.
    Is there any chance you have played comparing the 2 bell materials?

Do I take it that you no longer use/feel the need to have or play the Selmer ?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  6. ChiefNate

ChiefNate New Friend

Nov 3, 2008
    Memphis TN USA
    Purchasing the Scherzer in '87 from The Woodwind/Brasswind was my last move in tiny horns. The Selmer went to a student, and then I bought a Webb Natural tpt in '89. From a one meter horn to a 3 meter one! I am comparing Schilke G3 with my original ('86) Beryllium bell to the piccolo one, but that's all re: bells.