piccolo and mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by maestro76, Apr 18, 2007.

1. maestro76

maestro76 New Friend

Apr 17, 2007
    Illinois
    Any comments on using the 14a4 as a piccolo mouthpiece?

chuck

2. michaelm2

michaelm2 New Friend

Mar 23, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    They work reasonably well, although not my favorite. A lot of people out there are using them on piccolo. Schilke makes a 14ax that is essentially the same with a piccolo backbore. But I think it's only available in a cornet shank.

Mike

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My experience using old-school lead mouthpieces on piccolo have not sounded pretty, however, if you sound great on a 14a4, then by all means play it!

4. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I play a (new school) New York Stage 1 mp with my Selmer piccolo. It works fine and for me I like the sound better than the (old school) Schilke 13a4A or 14a4A giving a bigger and darker sound. However, to each their own.

Oh, I am old school trained but a new school supporter. This my 50th year playing the cornet and trumpet.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  5. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    I used a 14a4A on picc for a while. When I listen to some of the tapes of performances on that mouthpiece I cringe just a little. My tone using that mp was bright to the point of being shrill. As a result, I was being asked to play softer and softer. Those tapes show my intonation suffering, as well, but that may not have been the mouthpiece.:lol: