piccolo playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HoosierDaddy, Feb 20, 2008.

1. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2005
    Andrew

If you have several weeks when you don't play piccolo in a performance, do you practice that part of your playing or do you just do it when you need to?

CHAMP likes this.
  2. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    Hello HoosierDaddy,
    I probably should play piccolo more than I do to be honest. I usually will start working on it a few weeks before I have to use it. The next time I'm using it here is in May in a performance of an Albinoni Oboe concerto and I will most likely start with the piccolo in mid April.
    I do know that a lot of players use it all the time. Chris Martin in Chicago is someone who has said it's a part of his routine.
    As with most things on the trumpet you should find what works best for you. My suggestion is to try it for a while every day and see where that leads your playing. If it's direction you don't like you'll know soon and you can easily stop.
    I hope that is helpful.
    Best,
    Andrew

Schwab likes this.
  3. trombe1

trombe1 New Friend

Mar 26, 2005
    Can you tell us what sort of work do you to to "activate" your picc playing in anticipation of a performance like you described? Do you just work on the upcoming repertoire, or do you have some picc-specific exercises or routines that you like to work on too?

4. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    Trombe 1,
    Thanks for the question. I do have few specific things that I like to work on for piccolo. The first thing I do is work out of the first three pages of the the Clodimir book. I think it's called Seventy Little Studies? I don't have the cover on mine anymore and I can't remember for sure. Anyway these are very short tunes that help me get started with piccolo. I don't like to do anything to long or tiring at first. They are pretty high and I would suggest that you might want to play them in lower keys depending on your comfort level. They are also very articulated so to make sure that I am covering all of my bases I will also work out of the Getchell books, 1st and 2nd studies. These are also short, but a little more lyrical in nature. Again be sure to play them is keys that are comforable at first, then work you way up. The main thing is to get the feel back. After about a week I feel comfortable and then I start with the music. I would also suggest playing duets on piccolo if you can find someone to play with. It's something we used to do a lot of at Eastman.
    Thanks again for the question.
    Best,
    Andrew

Schwab likes this.
  5. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    My book reads

Clodomir
    70 Little Studies
    Opus 158