Piccolo Practice Regime?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Graham, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi all,

I just got myself a picc, and was wondering what material would be recommended for practice for it?

At the moment, I'm thinking lots of Clarke and flexibilities and things like that, but are there any picc-specific things I could be working on?

Cheers,

-G

2. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    I usually just practice literature, and maybe some long tones.

Invest in the David Hickman Piccolo Trumpet Book, and Piccolo Trumpet Big Book. Lots of ideas on how to proceed...a wealth of information.

Louie

3. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Cheers, Lou!

I've been eying off those two Hickman books, actually - they look as if they've got a good lot of content.

So far, I've had this picc for just over 30 hours and I can't put it down! SUCH a beautiful instrument. Got a copy of the Stanley Trumpet Voluntary and have been working on that thus far, along with some hymn descants.

I highly recommend the Scherzer Piccolos. They're (at least, this one is), an immense joy to play.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I play a couple of scales and then jump right into repertory.

The most important thing about the picc is learning not to try and make it sound like the big trumpet. The normal reaction is to blow the crap out of it. The jobs with the picc generally highlight a different, slimmer, more agile approach. I think we all start with oboe literature.