Piccolo trpt in big band?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet obsession, Jan 2, 2015.

1. trumpet obsession

trumpet obsession New Friend

Dec 9, 2011
    Hey guys, I'm more of a classical player but I'm also lead in the big band. I've got a tough section in the count bubba big phat band chart that goes up to G and says in the stratosphere for a while. I can play this on the piccolo trumpet but not the Bb or c. Would the sound be too "non jazzy" or could I get by on piccolo? Thanks

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO it all depends on how well you can play the piccolo trumpet. Certainly I don't have the range on a normal Bb trumpet that I have on my Schilke P5-4. Too, it may depend on how fast you can make the switch. Too, It is my experience that the picc is not a blaster unless heavily amplified. You've got to caress the notes with a picc.

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    years ago (back when the earth was just starting to cool) the lead player in one of the big bands I played in brought his pic to a job. After he used it on a couple of tunes the leader of the band told him to put it away, it just didn't fit.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Unless it is specifically written for piccolo, I would urge you to take up the challenge to play it on a normal Bb.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Short answer is no.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I tried that at a big band rehearsal many years ago and it didn't work. Not the right sound, and not enough projection.

7. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    the right pitches don't matter if the sound is all wrong. Gotta be Bb.

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    No High G on your Bb...?? Don't play lead. No offense intended.

9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    IMO no way... work on your range to the G and tell your band director to pick more appropriate music for the players' strength.

10. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This is more an issue of the poor programming of the band director not picking appropriate music for the ensemble which IMO happens far too often these days.