Piccolo trpt in big band?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet obsession, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The Schilke P5-4 piccolo trumpet is a Bb instrument, thus the pitch and sound matches regular Bb trumpet but I concur with Dale, it won't project unless it is amplified. Then to blend all the trumpets would need to be amplified IMO.

Trent, in schools the band director is stymied and cannot always select music that is compatible, but must utilize what has been provided just the same as other teachers and their textbooks.

2. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    Doesn't look good for the picc, does it? ROFL Keep working on your range. It sounds like you're almost there, but do it right. :thumbsup:

Rick

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Trent.. yes, I agree with what you said. There are plenty of charts that top out around High C - D.

Bad programming... There is no shortage of bad HS bands playing Goodwin charts on YouTube.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Ouch!!! Rofl

5. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I'm with everybody else. I just can't imagine listening to any of Gordon Goodwin's songs....and Wayne Bergeron busting out a piccolo for the big shout chorus. It would be incredibly anti-climactic.

Kujo

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The piccolo trumpet in the hands of a player without lead chops can't sound leadier (is that even a word?) than doing it the right way. I can't count the amount of times that I have heard lead stuff butchered by the unworthy using a picc. That includes Tschaikowski 4 and the Symphonic Dances from West Side Story played by VERY WELL PAID ORCHESTRAS.

I simply think it is a sign of poor taste. Ther is more to life than just "hitting" the notes. If I was the band director, I would hold auditions for the part. That gets the kiddies practicing more and not looking for an easier download. If no one could play the part, I would find something else to play.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Rowuk, I don't know of any high school bands that have Tchaikovsky 4 or West Side Story in their music libraries. Really, the only time I personally have found my picc suitable in the high range is when I transposed the C piccolo solo parts of The Stars and Stripes, Forever! by Sousa. No, you won't hear this part performed by the USMC "President's Own" as they crescendo the drums and basses to cover it up as to wipe it out, but Sousa wrote it and methinks he wanted it heard. In my high school we often performed SSF as our Director had played cornet with Sousa and we had 2 C piccolo players, who both were also very good flautists and pianists, one a boy and the other a girl. Otherwise, there is music where the piccolo trumpet is appropriate ... and when it is not. Still, it seems that more is the winner or they wouldn't have been manufactured.

8. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Ed, so a piccolo p5-4 playing in Bb and a bach 37 sound the same?

I was aware of that two instruments pitched in the same key will play the same notes reading the same music. My point was, that is of no consequence if your lead player sounds like a baroque soloist in an otherwise normal jazz band. It's about the sound quality...

I imagine picc trumpet on the picc solo of stars and stripes would be quite good, especially in a brass band.

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Long answer is NO too!