Piccolo trpt in big band?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet obsession, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Sorry, Ed, the sound will NOT match a regular Bflat trumpet.

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I must admit, I have been shaking my head that a piccolo trumpet was ever considered for a big band/jazz band lead chart. Maybe I am being simplistic, but the answer is a simple and EMPHATIC "No."

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I'm thinking that if you really can play (I say play, not hit) the notes on picc, and stay up there for a while on the picc but not on the Bb, then you have the ability to do it. The picc does not make this register all that much easier to produce, just safer to play with, with a sound much more acceptable in orchestra/classical settings.
    Big band lead is specialty playing, I hate to launch this debate or even sound like I'm giving that advice but perhaps you're using the wrong mouthpiece for lead playing on your Bb. It might be worth trying some lead MPs to see if it makes a difference. Might give you a better lead sound too. All caveats applicable to MP change should be considered. Guidance from a experienced lead player who can teach as well would be best.

4. trumpet obsession

trumpet obsession New Friend

Dec 9, 2011
    Thanks for all of the responses guys, I kinda figured that the sound would be off. I'll start working more on range with the Bb, it probably dosent help that I was playing on my usual Greg black 0c mouthpiece. Thanks again

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'll concur that it will not be a sound match/blend with a normal Bb trumpet playing the same above the staff, but it harmonizes with the lower instruments as a solo as is reprised in my multi brass rendition of The Stars and Stripes, Forever! on the part Sousa wrote for the C piccolo that I transposed for my Schilke P5-4. You can't hear this part by the USMC "President's OWN as they crescendo the basses and drums in the song's conclusion. Sousa did not write such a crescendo, but he did write this solo part and methinks he wanted it to be heard. Coincidentally, without baton or drums my CD track time is precisely the same as USMC's of 3:38.
    Anyone who wants to hear my rendition send me your e-mail address and I'll reply with an MP3 file of it.

6. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    maybe you should try the .0005C over the 0C. It makes all the difference. That and many hours of solid fundamental practicing every day.

7. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    I remember an outdoor concert a few summers ago, where a military big band (I can't remember the name; the concert wasn't especially notable; my apologies) had a soloist who switched to piccolo trumpet for some high note work. Nothing spectacular, but I clearly remember him saying "when I got my first picc, my teacher called it a 'hernia tube'"...

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I could imagine the picc being a great solo instrument in a jazz setting. It just ain't lead material.

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I concur with the general opinion that the picc is not suitable as a lead instrument in big band; but, as many don't seem to have noticed (a few did), the fact that the OP can produce the range on picc and not on normal Bb means that he/she/it has the range and that probably something is wrong with the trumpet-mouthpiece combination normally used.
    I experienced the same phenomenon when I was suddenly put into lead the first time - had to cover for a sick colleague. My combination of trumpet and mouthpiece just did not work for high range - imagine a Bach 37 clone with a 1 A megatone for lead work. Hard work. I switched over the instrument for my Jupiter 812R (Monette clone) and got myself an Arnold & Sons 3C Double Cup mouthpiece and hey presto! I had the range... Now, I've settled on a 1952 Olds Special with a Stork Vacchiano 4E for lead work. For me, that combination is the ultimate.

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Sorry, Ed The question is: Piccolo in a big band.

The answer is: NO

You can discuss what you did elsewhere.......Stick to the question!