Piccolo Trumpet Advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach81, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Bach81

Bach81 New Friend

Apr 2, 2010
    Rochester, New York
    I have just recievied a decent Piccolo Trumpet and have just started playing.I could use any advice though on playing it (I do have the basics down like tuning the darn thing and fingerings). Thanks in advance.:-)

2. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    try practising all your practise books one octave up. Arban, Clarke ect. It helps with intonation

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    This is more of a buyer guide, but it has good general information and links for piccolo trumpet stuff:

Guide to Piccolo trumpets

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Find a dedicated picc. mpc. I use a Stork 7P. Schilke makes them as well. Makes a big difference. You'll need to give your self time to adjust to resistance. It's a different animal from a big horn. Try easy half note 1 octave scales starting on low C on the horn. Don't overblow it will just back up on you. Relax with it.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Remember that you are playing an octave higher than your fingers. You can try playing with a falsetto voice. You can also imagine that you are playing is an octave higher. These sometimes help. I like doing lip slurs--a good workout that helps us to own the horn.

Have fun!

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I agree with Bob Grier, you need to find a mouthpiece that becomes your piccolo mouthpiece. Possibly something with a similar size rim and a shallower cup.

7. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    As a new picc player myself I have found it helpful to listen a lot to what the sound should be, Maurice Andre has been on my Ipod a lot over the last few weeks. Also, everything I play I try to play in a baroque style, adding trills and such like to help me feel the music. I'm not too worried about the high range at the moment and am concentrating on getting the best tone I can in the mid range, (third line C to E above the stave for normal Bb.)

8. sd4f

sd4f New Friend

Dec 30, 2009
    I have a question about piccs.

There seems to be a very large difference in bore sizes for piccolos some 40 thou, what would be the behavioural differences in the bore size at either extreme?

9. Bach81

Bach81 New Friend

Apr 2, 2010
    Rochester, New York
    Thanks for all the help I have defienitly been listening to maurice andre and it really does help. I like the idea of practice my Arbsn's book up an octave. Thanks again for the advice!

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The bore says NOTHING about anything on any horn. Big is not freer blowing and small does not have a "small" sound. The whole instrument is involved and you have to try them to see it they match what is in your head.