Piccolo trumpet intervals

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GordonH, Mar 14, 2007.

1. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    If I tune the bottom C correctly so its in tune and then play a C on the third space its very sharp. The E above it is slightly sharp but not by much. I can fix the C by playing it with valves 2 and 3 or by lipping it (but this means I sometimes crack the note or the tone is poor).

This problem has always been there but it seems to have become exaggerated recently. The only change has been moving to the Monette Bb trumpet. Is it possible my own pitching of the notes has changed?
    My piccolo trumpet has not been altered in any way.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The low c is the culprit, and it is flat. Thinking 3rd line c when playing the low c should help move it up. Maybe. Have fun!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Are you using a Monette picc mouthpiece?
    Intonation on the picc is an adventure. When you start playing Monette equipment, you learn to stop adjusting with your body. If the picc had problems, you are compensating less and that could enhance the issue. When I started playing Monette equipment in 1997, I kept using my Bach 10 1/2C for the picc. The same thing happened to me. I called Dave, described the situation and he made a mouthpiece that solved the problem.
    That is why I love this company so much.
    Give them a call or send an email.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I never tune to the low C, always the octave higher because that's where the bulk of the playing is. It seems to work much better.

ML

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I think it's a combination of all the above.
    Wrong mouthpiece and adjusting differently because you play a Monette trumpet now and tuning to the lower note.

I'm curious as to what mouthpiece you use in the B flat and what mouthpiece you use in the picc. I've read all kinds of different combinations that work for great players so maybe it means nothing but, you never know.

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Same here ML. When I am around folks who are not used to the piccolo, they like to start noodling downstairs. I usually tell them not to bother noodling down there because 99% of the playing is "up there". :D

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I noodle down there all the time. I just don't tune down there

8. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I am using the AP1-5 muthpiece from Monette.

I will try tuning on the upper C and see what happens although tuning on the lower one the rest of the upper notes were correctly in tune.
    I do think I may have stopped compensating for some of the out of tune notes though. I have not played pic much for the past year but have been back to daily practice on it as I need to use it for a concert.
    Otherwiese I would not really have noticed the problem.

9. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    That's the first thing Doug Hedwig told me when I showed up for my first lesson on picc.

10. Numb Chops

Numb Chops New Friend

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    Ha ha! my Friend bought the cheapest picc ever! and it sounds like plastic. lol. he had soo much trouble getting anything in tune!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007