Piccolo trumpet question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bretd123, Nov 12, 2008.

1. bretd123

bretd123 New Friend

Oct 14, 2008
    I have been reading about piccs and would like to purchase one. i just have one question, What music do I play. I read on here that it dosent sound right to play piccolo on a normal Bb trumpet part. Is there music specifically for piccolo? it seems that there would be very little sheet music to play, sorta like you wold run out of music, is this true?

2. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    With the picc trumpet, you can begin to look at some intermediate flute pieces that don't go too high, the Beatles's Penny Lane has a picc trumpet solo. Piccs are usually used in classical music, like some of Bach's high trumpet parts, and at weddings and certain Christmas songs.

But the Piccolo trumpet is hard to control in the beginning. You shouldn't even try piccolo unless you can play up to AT LEAST a C above the staff at mp with minimal pressure.

3. TheRiddler

TheRiddler Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2006
    USA
    Picc has become the modern standard for performing most all of the big baroque concerti. Telemann, Fasch, Bach, Vivaldi... etc. Some guys still play these on D trumpets, but that's old hat. Also - there's some orchestral literature that is generally played on picc now. Goldenberg and Schmuyle from Pictures @ Exhibition or the death scene in Petrouska.
    The most common application is indeed weddings... playing the voluntaries and fanfares from the baroque era.... i.e. Prince of Denmark, Trumpet tune, etc.

4. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    It depends though. If there are Baroque concerti out there that dip below the concert B, then a picc could not be used. (Though most of those that go to the bottom range are more recent).
    I'd have to disagree with the mention of fanfares, which I believe kings of the time would rather have 20 people playing regular-sized trumpets for fanfares. That large regal sound of a Bb trumpet cannot be emulated by the noble sounding picc, no matter how large the bore.