Piccolo Trumpet Throat Pain

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tromba1030, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Tromba1030

Tromba1030 Pianissimo User

Feb 5, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I am a fairly inexperienced piccolo trumpet player and I come across a problem with my upper register playing. When I start playing to the top of "Handel Range" I get a pain in my throat and nasal pathways. I think this may be from over blowing but I am not sure. This never happens on my bigger horns when I play into the upper register but now it is starting to effect my progress in learning Piccolo Trumpet. If this has happened to anyone else...what do I do?

-Jacob

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I'm betting your mouthpiece is too small and your lips are pursed too tight creating an enormous back pressure. Coincidentally, that happened to me last week. The difference is I had a swollen, sore throat and was playing the ending of Petrushka very slowly and louder than I've ever been asked to play it. The point is you're creating an ultimate situation when a moderate one is called for.

Practice in the lower picc register and climb up very gradually trying to maintain a sense of blowing past the mouthpiece unencumbered by excess pressure. In other words, don't create more pressure than is already inherent to the combination of a pair of lips, a small mouthpiece, and a small trumpet.

ML