piccolo trumpet tuning problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet guy, May 6, 2008.

1. Richard Gordon

Richard Gordon Pianissimo User

Sep 14, 2007
    Deer Park NY
    Hi Trumpet Guy, I'm Rich Gordon. What Mr. Vizzutti said is 100% true. For the most part, Chinese brass instrument manufacterers are at the infancy in building reliable playing instruments. The smaller the instrument, the more you will find inherent intonation problems with them. Try a different mouthpiece. You can also give Julius Liu a call and see about a true A pipe for it. His numbers on his Website.He's a really great guy and will be glad to help you. He stands by his products. Good Luck.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    In my opinion if you really want to learn to play the piccolo get rid of the Berkely thing and get a good used piccolo from an established manufacturer (Selmer, Benge, and Getzen are the best choices under $1000). I think you'll do more harm than good sticking with the current horn and I'd DEFINITELY recommend against putting any money into it. The $150 for a new leadpipe will likely yeild minimal (if any) improvements and that money would be better put aside saving for a better horn.

Here's a Youtube clip of someone testing your picc. Not sure if it's the player or the horn, but the result is not something you want to emulate:
    YouTube - 20090209155826

3. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    Yeah...I think you answered your own question....Berkeley picc? There ya go...

Talk to your trumpet teacher...they'll probably be the one to judge about breath support for piccolo trumpet playing...it's far different than on a big horn. And try another piccolo as well to see if you're having the same issues.

LE

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Trumpet Guy,
    even a name brand picc can have problems depending on the player and choice of mouthpiece. I have played even Schilke and Yamaha instruments that were less than optimal.

In this case, where one note is so miserably out of tune, I think it is a design flaw. Most certainly it is nothing that a mouthpiece can fix. The mouthpiece or leadpipe can lift an entirely flat lower register or very sharp upper register. Single notes are fixed by exchanging the horn.
    To be honest, I would not try and mess with it. If the horn is out of tune like that, get it exchanged or get a refund. Life behind a horn is tough enough without having to compensate for bad quality control.

I hope that you bought it from a shop willing to honor warranty!

5. photosnapper

photosnapper New Friend

Jun 26, 2010
    England
    Sounds quite well in tune to me - for a piccolo

6. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    Seems to me the guy doesn't have the range and he's "squeaking" out that high note. Realllly flat. The other notes seem to be all over the place but I guess it sounds o-k (HS level?)

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have a student with an EBay picc. I told him to hang it on his bedroom wall as art. I think he payed about 200.00 for it and at the price of some artwork, I think he got a bargain.

I think if you want to mess around with it and get the feel for the smaller trumpet, this will work. If you want to perform or really get going, you probably need a better horn.

I've never heard of this name trumpet so I'm basing my answer on what I have read. It would better to get real world advice.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Piccolo trumpets from India and China are junk. I bought one from Mumbai India and needless to say I was very excited. When I got it the thing wouldn't play. It sounded like I was playing through a lead pipe.
    From the little research I've done, I've learned:
    >Piccolo trumpets are expensive
    >Playing one is difficult
    >Don't buy cheap
    >Getzen is probably what I'll eventually end up with

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Respectfully, I think you need to listen again.

The "music" played in that clip wasn't in tune.

The horn and the player probably have to share the blame, but a piccolo trumpet is difficult enough to play on a quality horn. On that Berkeley I'd say more like impossible...

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I have a Getzen 300 series Eb trumpet in my workshop with exactly the same problem. I had to start from the beginning - someone had replaced the lead pipe which was too long, then the replacement tuning slide was too long. By shortening the main slide I got the open notes more or less on pitch, then had to substantially shorten the third slide. I am currently debating shortening the first slide.

By the way, my customer will want to sell it once I have it in decent playable condition.