Piccolo trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by BBJ, Mar 29, 2005.

1. BBJ

BBJ New Friend

Mar 29, 2005
    Sweden
    I wnat to buy a A/Bb Piccolo trumpet, but what is recomandeble?

Yamaha? Bach? B&S? Schilke? Schertzer? :?:

2. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Schilke P5-4 is top on my list, I hope to soon own one, Stomvi makes really great piccs, and also if you can find an old Selmer Paris model picc, those are awesome as well. Yamaha makes really good piccs, but the way I see it, the difference in a Yamaha and a Schilke is the Schilke is only $200 extra, might as well fork out the extra dough for the Schilke. Good luck!

3. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    I think it really depends on what you're after. The long-bell models tend ot be larger bore and a bit more free-blowing, which I prefer. The short-bell models seem to give a bit more resistance. (IMHO).

I think the Shilke P5-4 is still essentially the reference model. I've heard great things about the Stomvis but have never heard or played one myself.

I think MB is essentially correct. Either Shilke for the long bell or Selmer Paris for the short bell. I know Kanstzul makes a great Pic, and Getzen has a new model long-bell as well. (Getzen probably has the most affordable pic of any quality, but I don't like the intonation on their short-bell model, though I hear if you pickup the blackburn leadpipes they're pretty solid horns).

I have a friend who recently purchased a Benge pic and it's actually a pretty decent horn.

Take a road trip somewhere that carries most of the brands you're after and give them all a try...

my 2 pennies, anyway. Good luck!!

4. bigthemat

bigthemat Pianissimo User

Mar 25, 2005
    I have played a schilke, schertzer, and a yamaha custom. I would have to say I liked the schertzer rotary the best. It had a georgous sound, and I like the feel of the rotary valves. Next would be the schilke. It had great valves, awesome sound, and sure looks pretty. The yamaha is nice too, but the yammie valves are always a little sluggish for me. Don't get a bach. My friend has a bach picc, and I don't like it that much... not a good sound like the schilke or schertzer.

But yes, do go and try as many as you can... if you can get to places like ITG or the NTC, or even at the MENC confrence my friends went to there were a bunch of horn dealers there.

good luck with the search.