Piccolo trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TannerFarish, Apr 8, 2013.

1. TannerFarish

TannerFarish New Friend

Dec 8, 2011
    I'm looking for a decent picc that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I have a very limited budget. Anyway, I found one that looks promising, but I was wondering if any of you guys had any positive/negative experiences with this particular brand. It's called berekley winds, they claim their piccolo is "stomvi styled" whatever that means. I know stomvi piccs are thousands of dollars so this $500 one claiming to be stomvi styled seems a little odd to me. I found a review of the horn on youtube (Berkeley Wind - Piccolo Trumpet - YouTube) and it seems to sound pretty nice.

2. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    I have owned their products.....IMO save up for a better pic......their products have more intonation issues than if you were to purchase a nice pic...

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, TannerFarish! Inexpensive piccolos need to be made cheaply. That causes problems. Any defect in the manufacture causes problems that are multiplied by two compared to the mezzo soprano Bb trumpet. Cloning certainly saves money for design but if they aren't built to spec the instrument is pretty much worthless. I'd pass on the $500 new model and start saving up for a quality used piccolo.

4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    What's your budget? You can sometimes find an old Selmer for about $1000

5. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I've played a Berkeley high trumpet--about 5 minutes was all I needed to know I didn't want any of their horns. Save up for a better horn--a good used horn is much better than a bad new horn.

6. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Trent Austin sells a Berkeley Winds 3 valve +1 horn. He "tweaks" it and changes the leadpipe before it goes out the door, and flatly states that it is not on a par with better instruments, but is a serviceable horn for those who use a picc once or twice a year.

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I bought an Amati picc to goof around. Got it new on e-Bay from some big online store at a time when they were trying to unload them and were slashing prices and I paid $700 for it. My teacher is a bit of a picc expert, he played it and said I got a heck of a deal on a fine instrument that had nothing to envy to Yamahas, Benges, Getzens, etc. It is a total Selmer clone, construction quality is quite good, valves are excellent. Maybe one day I'll play it for real :D

8. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    As long as it plays well, congrats!
    I've been researching general reviews on different piccs. Some buying guides include Amati on the do not buy list.
    I believe that is because Amati makes many types of instruments and really specializes in none.
    I play in bassoon sections frequently as well as trumpet; a friend of mine purchased an Amati bassoon...it played well but some of the intonation and the tone quality were just not top notch.

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Currently on ebay an Amarti Senator Picc with a buy it now of $689 from Germany, probably best buy, all name brand getting well over $1000.

Regards, Stuart.

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I wouldn't say it's "top-notch."
    According to my teacher, this is top-notch:

Martin Schmidt Potsdam - Meisterwerkstatt für Metallblasinstrumente

However, to fart around with a few lines of Haendel now and then it's ok. I know I don't have the chops at this point to discriminate among these small buggers. Eventually, I would love to play some picc music. I'm the sure the Amati can give me a start if I get to that point. If I get more serious about it, I will probably sell it and procure a better instrument.