Piccolo Trumpets

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Annie, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    What's the best to get while not spending too much out of one's pocket? I got to play my instructor's piccolo today, and I want to save up to buy one now!!!!!!

2. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    My piccolo purchase was a foolish one. I bought the Yamaha professional model, 6810s. It's an adequete instrument but my methods for buying were hardly mature. I had some money to spend and wanted a piccolo because I wanted to work on the picc literature and thought it would be good to start playing weddings and stuff. I chose the model I was going to buy based on pictures and specs and had one of the local Yamaha dealers order in the horn and I bought it after trying just the one instrument.

Like I said, the instrument is adequete but the intonation leaves a little to be desired and I think the bore is too small for the way I blow. In hindsight I should have made a trip to a larger music store and tried several instruments. Even as a beginner at the piccolo you can tell what horn works well for you. That being said, for all I play picc my horn is fine and blends well in brass quintet and trumpet ensemble. It has a small bright sound that works well for most baroque literature.

If I had to do it all again(and I probably will in a couple years), I would seek out the Schilke P5-4(those horns play themselves), Stomvis, Kanstuls, Schezers, and Getzens. I've played two LA Benges and didn't like them but lots of people think they're great. Some people like the Yamaha knockoff(9830) of the Schilke better than the original but I've had better experiences with the Schilke.

Of course, usual horn buying rules apply. Try as many as you can. Try your friends' horns. Buy what feels best, sounds best, and fits your budget. Don't impulse buy like me. :-)

What horn does your teacher play?

3. ChasStarr

ChasStarr Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2004
    NE Louisiana
    Annie, I got the opportunity to play one of my big band mates Kanstul Piccolo trumpet not to long ago and I have to tell you it was one of the sweetest pics I have played to date. Easy, easy blow and didn't have that real bright edgy sound I've found on some.

I'm not sure how much it cost, but I think it's worth a look.

For what it's worth, I play a Benge and as much as I hate to admit it, it outplayed mine.

He got his from WWBW and at the time he tried several brands including Schilke, Bach, and a rotary model. He said it was between the Kanstul and the Schilke, but he just liked the Kanstul better.

Hope this helps a little.

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    If you are trying to save $ I would suggest trying to find a used piccolo (like a Stomvi or Getzen) for the first go round. There are probably a few people out there that are stepping up to Schilke's or something of the like and would let a good used pic go for a good price. Also, I hear that the Kanstul piccolo is a great playing horn at a great price but I haven’t had a chance to play one yet.

I would also suggest taking a friend or teacher that can play pic to come along and test what ever horn you are trying out.

5. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    My teacher went the cheap route and even mentioned that his picc isn't a very good one. He has an Amati piccolo trumpet.

I didn't get a good chance to actually play it a whole entire bunch (really, just a few notes), but for what I did play, and considering the mpc change, it didn't feel all that bad, or sound that bad.

Would Chuck Levin's Washington Music center have a good stock of used piccs that I could try out? Maybe I could try a few after the second semester just to get the feel of them, not necessarily to buy just then because I can say this right now - I WILL be penniless at that time. I currently have no job, so I'm pretty much penniless now.

The good thing is I think I might have a job lined up for this summer! I just need an interview, and they said they'd hold my application until I was able to come home after the semester so they could do an interview! And, if I get the Resident Assistant job I applied for next semester, I'll only have to fork up $2,442. I hope my job would have me make at least that much to cover school...w/extra for a picc!

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Well, Amati isn't at the top of anyone's list. I am kind of surprised your teacher went that route. ZueS will be coming out with a new piccolo very soon. But for a college student, a used one might be the ticket. I doubt they will be cheap, even used. Since I sell ZueS, I am a big fan of what comes from Kanstul.

By all means if you can get to Chuck Levin's and play a bunch, it would be to your advantage.

M&C
    (after 4 years of undergraduate school and 8 years of graduate school, I know what it is like to be penniless!)

7. bugler16

bugler16 Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2003
    One brand that I have not seen mentioned here is B&S which is what I have. I really like it, but it has a 465 bore so it blows a little more like a Bb. I really also like the Schilkes and the short bell Yamahas. A friend of mine has a Kanstule which he loves and I hate. My prof has a really nice Selmer, but it is older, however I've seen a few on E-bay lately.

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
  9. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
  10. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Awesome link!