piccolo trumpets?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hahkeystah, Jan 16, 2011.

1. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    okay, i was always under the impression that piccolo trumpets played an octave higher than regular Bb trumpets. apparently this isn't the case. if they have the same range, whats the point in using one?

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    1.) They start their range at the second space F# on the staff, precluding the first octave.They don't have the same range.
    2.) They have a distinctive SOUND. A cornet and a trumpet have the exact same range, yet there are times you should choose one over the other.
    3.) Because the overtone structure is different, the notes above the staff slot better, making them easier to find, but not easier to play. If you can't play a D over the first C above the staff on a Bb trumpet, you won't be able to play it on the picc

The piccolo trumpet is a lovely and sweet sounding instrument which requires its own approach and techniques. I am sure others will chime in here with far greater experience than I. I would opine that very few players own a piccolo trumpet that are not professional players or serious students.

3. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    so while they aren't technically an octave up, it's more convenient to play, when reaching way up there. okay. so if their first partial is that high up, the actually have a pretty short range, in comparison?

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Yup. Pretty amazing what this "limited" instrument can do, though....

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    In a sense, they (meaning a pic in Bb rather than A) DO play an octave higher than a standard Bb, but as others have already noted, it's not automatic and takes the same amount of chops. As others have already mentioned, it's a slotting and accuracy thing, very similar to playing in the first octave of a standard Bb.

Personally, I never cared for playing pic - it's a different animal than playing Bb and I never got to a point where I could switch from one to the other and if I was practicing on the pic a lot, my regular Bb playing suffered. Since I was gigging on regular Bb and had no gigs on the horizon with pic, I sold it and put the money toward a new standard trumpet - best decision I personally ever made, and not because it was a bad pic, but because I got a pretty sweet LB/25 Strad out of the deal and I haven't come upon a time where I really needed a pic since.

6. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    okay, curiosity sated. thanks yall for your input :-)

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Once the player learns to caress the notes on picc instead of conquer them, things get a lot easier. I think there is hardly anything more annoying than blowing the crap out of a very short trumpet.

8. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
  9. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway
    Alison Balsom's Bach recordings, amazing

10. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    On the whole other than her looks, I would among professional trumpet players she really is not all that amazing, she is just an average professiona...unless you are commenting on her looks!!
    Now Marsalis and Botti....they are amazing!!