piccolo trumpets?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hahkeystah, Jan 16, 2011.

1. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway
    Your opinion

2. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    No fact!! There is no way Alison Balsom is one of the best trumpet players in the world!!
    Now don`t get me wrong she is a great trumpet player, compared to most of us old geezers!
    But you stand her up next to Wynton, Arturo....etc....she doesn`t hold a candle.

But yeah..you are right!! My opinion...

3. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway
    They are all different players, you are right in some ways Alison don't add up to Wynton, etc, and Wynton and Arturo are Jazz players ( in think :p ) i know (and listen) to Wynton's classical recordings, but i like Alison better in the classical part. But now i'm talking about music types, i can't live without the Jazz and i can't live without the classical music, and if you like Wynton's classical recordings (with Piccolo trumpet) good for you, but i like Alison's music. But that is my opinion and you have yours :play:

4. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    That says it all in a nutshell.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's probably why I had such a problem with it, although I never seemed to have a problem with D/Eb - they seem to be considerably more forgiving than the pic.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jedi,
    to judge her performances you have to attend them. I have and would put her WAY up there in what she musically offers. I prefer her Haydn and Hummel to Wynton and Arturos any day........................... Then again Wyntons choruses with the LCJO are probably more inspired than hers. Arturo is Mr. 50,000 Volt. As we can see, different strokes for different folks.

As far as recordings go, Alisons rendition of Paganinis 24 Caprices matches ANYTHING in the entire trumpet world - ever. Now if she only played a Monette.................

7. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    You judge too quickly......I have attended one of her performances.
    Let me say I never said she was not a great trumpet player. I just have never been impressed by her.

Different strokes for different folks!

As far a recordings go we both know how recording are made or shall we say mixed......

YES!! My Opinion!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011