piccolo trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    Do you suggest the fourth valve, or does it not really matter?
    Thanks!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    YES! A picc is essentially worthless to most without a 4th valve. It is a very special situation when 3 are enough.

3. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    So, Rowuk, having never played a four valve instrument, what fingering is used differently from 3?

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm not Rowuk, but the only "different" fingering is to substitute fourth valve for the 1-3 combination. The rest, like a trombone with a single valve, are for the pedal register. On the Bb piccolo, the lowest sounding note is a Bb in the staff without valves and an E in the staff with three valves. Most pieces require a D or C below the staff.

5. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I agree with the necessity of the 4th valve. I have a terrific Couesnon 3 valve, but it is so limiting. Can't decide if I want to replace it or just buy one to compliment it. Same thing with my Eb/D--really needs that 4th valve to be as versatile as it should be.

6. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    On my Benge, G# above the staff is 2-4 (IIRC) rather than 2-3. You might find other alternate fingerings necessary. Otherwise, it's for low-range extension.

I bought a Benge D that fell in my lap at a price I couldn't ignore. I have not used it yet, but a friend did TTSS and wanted to borrow my picc, and I suggested why not try the D, since the music was written for it and everything? It is much easier to play on the D than on the picc, and sounds quite nice. The D trumpet is pretty easy to acclimate to, about like getting used to a C, and unlike the pain-fest that is working up a piece on the quacking monstrosity that is the picc. Doesn't seem to be a horn that gets much use, though. I'm happy to have both, even if I rarely (if not never) get to play them in public.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  7. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    How about flugelhorns? I've seen three and four valve flugels.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Four valve flugels are for the lower register below low F#.

9. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    To get back on topic, I also have an Amati picc. I bought mine on eBay for about $400.00, ready to go. There were no necessary repairs to be done to it. It was a MUCH better purchase than the Monique (p)tso I bought previously with my fingers crossed. No more than I use a piccolo, it is fine.

10. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Anything baroque and written in D is good for a D trumpet, but will be phenomenal on a G.